Scoop-Schwinn announces 60 miles/4 hour charge

bamabikeguy

Local time
12:33 PM
I heard a snippet on Paul Harvey today, some kind of battery breakthrough.....

Sorry I don't have details, but that was the gist of his comment, 60 mile range and a 4 hour charge time.

battery

ya im thinkin ya gotta pull over in 30 miles and giver a 4 hr charge again?hahaha

but, they'll look great on the back of the hummer...kinda like a "support our troops" badge of sincerity :p

5-7HEAVEN said:
:eek: and the MSRP for their electric bikes are $1500-$2K.

Ya gotta be kidding !!

I looked around for news articles on it, found announcements from LAST year, prices never were mentioned...

Guess the batteries are titanium or some such. :???:

:eek: Yeah, the prices are on SCHWINN'S website.

a lot of bike can be built with $2k, although a fast longrange electric cruiser easily tops $1k. :cool:

The last I heard, those new Schwinn electrics are'nt on the market yet even tho the marketing pics are up. I'd sure like to see one in person.

EDIT: My bad - Just read on an e bike forum that the first one was sold a few days ago in Chicago.

Boise Idaho E-store- must be a typo on the price !

http://www.fox12news.com/Global/story.asp?S=7117581

Jade Green Store Sells Hybrid Electric Bikes

Sep 24, 2007 07:12 PM CDT

ECO Friendly Bike Shop

Boise, Idaho -- There's a new shop in town for cycling enthusiast offering hybrid bikes and scooters.

Jade Green, located in the Ram Plaza, sells high performance electric transportation.

Owners can plug their bikes into a standard outlet for three hours and then ride for 25 to 75 miles.

The scooters start at $1,000, while a motorized bike kit starts around $16,000.

The technology comes from a lithium ion battery, like those found in hybrid cars.

"Here in Boise what prompted me to start this business was the traffic congestion and the high price of gas and I wanted to stay green with the electric bicycles and scooters," said Jade Preston, the owner.

The Jade Green bike store opened about a week ago.

It's already taking orders from people around the country.

Sorry I don't have details, but that was the gist of his comment, 60 mile range and a 4 hour charge time.

60 mile rides are very common for bicycle riders. 100 mile rides are pretty common among serious bike riders.

4 hour charge times are long for regular electrified bike riders. My old technology brushed motored bike fully charges in two hours or less twice every day.

Paul Harvey might be a little bit behind the times on electric bike technology. His numbers missed on both ends.

?? Breakthrough? My ebike charges fully in about 3 hours and has a ~60 mile range with all batteries installed. Cost about $1300 all told.

Back