ScooterGuy kit plans?

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by roughrider504, Jun 23, 2011.

1. roughrider504

roughrider504 Member

Since the ScooterGuy kits are no longer available, does anybody have any detailed pictures or plans and a parts list to assemble one of my own?

2. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

3. roughrider504

roughrider504 Member

The engine mount is rather self-explanatory, I am going to dig around Lowes and see what I can find.

So, starting from the engine down, this is what I've figured so far.

-Pocket bike transmission
    -2 8mm chains (should be enough?)
    -8mm Sprocket
    -Scooter freewheel
    -Sick Bike Parts inner chainring
    -Sick Bike Parts cranks
    -Hardware

Which size inner chainring would be a good match for a Monster Scooter engine?

4. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

5. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

I use a 30-tooth chainring from SBP. With the parts mentioned, you will have
    36.98:1. This is a great granny gear to climb steep hills, ramps,etc. Second gear is good to start off at 28.34:1.

With such a large 72t sprocket, even 8th gear at 12:1 will be usable for the high end.

6. roughrider504

roughrider504 Member

Thanks 5-7, you are a great asset to this board.

Now hopefully I can find some pipe clamps so I don't have to drill the frame.

7. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Hey thanks.

Thatsdax has the mounting plate for $24.99

http://thatsdax.com/ENGINE_KIT_PARTS_PAGE_1.html

8. roughrider504

roughrider504 Member

9. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Upgrading the broken 25mm chain to 8mm chain in the future will no longer make it cheaper.:whistling:

FWIW, you can buy 11t gearbox sprockets online for about $10. I just happen to find an expensive one to link.

10. roughrider504

roughrider504 Member

Yeah, the 8mm chain is a lot nicer.

Once my new Huasheng carburetor comes in, I can start ordering parts. The MSP 49cc might have a little too much power for this setup.

11. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

This setup can handle GP460 engines, so your MSP engine is good to go.

The good thing is that ultra-expensive and HD components are unecessary, except for brakes. My wheels are 32-spoke/14g Alex twin-wall rims. Never had any broken spokes.

Invest your $$ in a good set of brakes. You will need them to bring your fast bike to a safe stop.

12. roughrider504

roughrider504 Member

The GP460 would be crazy on a shift kit.

13. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Yes, it was.:jester:
    I installed an SBP Happy Time expansion chamber and bullet muffler on my Scooterguy mounted bike. The loud engine became EXTREMELY quiet. Great all around power too, but not as much as its super-loud, engine-specific Dominator pipe.:detective:

This engine spits a LOT of oil out its exhaust with the SBP pipe. Be sure to route the exhaust hose past the rear wheel.:detective:

14. roughrider504

roughrider504 Member

Do you think a 54T sprocket with the smallest 24t SBP chainring give me a low enough ratio to go through the gears with my 33cc Huasheng? The big 8mm sprockets are hard to find besides ebay.

15. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

It sure will. Using a 10-tooth engine sprocket gives you 5.4:1. Multiply that with your 5:1 pocket bike gear box to get 27:1.

Then, it will depend what size first gear is, on your rear cassette. If it has a 34t first gear, you'll have a stump-pulling 38.25:1 first gear. You will be able to climb VERY steep hills with it. Eighth gear will be 12.38:1, which is excellent for highway flying(if your engine has the power).

If you have a 32-tooth first gear in your cassette, you will still have a respectable 34.93:1 to ensure not having to pedal-assist from a stop.

Gear ratios will be very close, so you can skip every other gear while shifting.