Scottsdale AZ Police Want To Jail MotoredBiker!!

Discussion in 'Laws, Legislation & Emissions' started by bamabikeguy, Sep 19, 2007.

1. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

At least he's got mb.gumption. Power to the peop...........

2. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Ain't that something! Tell that cop that doghnuts are free down the street next time.
    What a waste of taxpayers money. There are regular unmotorized highspeed bikes that go much faster than 20 MPH. Does that make them illegal? I might understand if the gent was drunk and wrecklessly driving.
    Go bust a serial killer and use our money properly. I have had a trycycle over 20 MPH down a hill before. GRR!
    Doc

3. azbill

azbill Active Member

4. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

sent to the scottsdale city council using this form: https://eservices.scottsdaleaz.gov/feedback/CouncilEmail.asp?mailto=citycouncil@scottsdaleaz.gov&t=1

c'mon guys...this is the beginning, no?

5. spunout

spunout Member

oh, man...that IS torques.

the article also says, "As far as I was concerned he was a Moped in a bicycle lane, Royston testified, adding that he "had a hard time catching up with him."
    really? hard time catching someone going around 20mph? what kind of patrol car has THAT kind of trouble?

during the first City Council meeting, one cop said that they clocked a rider on a motoredbike 'travelling 50+ mph, (we all laughed at this) weaving in and out of traffic...EXTREME DUI!' haha..he said that with such contempt.

good luck, torques..the law is always 'right', even when they're not.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2007
  6. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

did you use the form to let scottsdale know what's up?

i'd love to generate a couple hundred submissions thru MBc...anyone else feel the same way?

7. spunout

spunout Member

you know i do. what would it take, and how would it work?
    this is just the kind of thing i could get into.
    a guy we ride with occasionally, is AZ Rep Tim Prezelski. he's the one who wrote the law, making these legal in AZ. if i remember correctly, the law says under 49cc's. is it possible for City to trump State law?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  8. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

9. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Thanks for the easy form Augie. It's in the mail
    Doc

10. OldPete

OldPete Guest

Thanks for the link augi. Letter was sent.

11. bamabikeguy

Good luck Torques

Didn't realize it was you when I put up the article, but GLAD you have that mb.gumption.

Get those AZ mbers riding the streets of Scottdale in protest and solidarity, THAT would get us some coverage.....

12. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Let's keep these letters going. Bombard their assys.
    doc

13. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Augie, Maybe you can make another post just for the forms to AZ.?
    doc

14. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

i used the "announcement" feature...it appears everywhere on the forum...whatta y'all think?

15. drimpact

drimpact Member

Thanks for the quick link. I sent my heated oppinion last night. If we can get a good number of people from this forum to respond to this we might actually make a difference in this.

This is the start! If we don't do something now, we will be outlaws too someday soon.

16. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

It's too bad he broke the law, he might have a leg to stand on.

17. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

agreed, dan...but i feel this is the leg to stand on (i'm aware that this is an issue of opinion)...

"good faith?" it's been a year...how about "the officer acted out of ignorance of the law." the ignorance did lead to a radar gun reading (disputed), but the "good faith" theory is bunk, imo.
    the officer didn't know the law...the prosecutor is just saying in legalese that the cop got lucky.
    the cop said he (we) will put him in jail, i think that's wrong under the circumstances.
    all i know is this...it's a great grey-area test-case, obviously a lot more work has to be done before there's a decent middle ground...i don't think locking people up over it is a practice we should lay down for.

besides..."win or lose", it wouldn't be a bad idea to make it known there is now a group watching for this kind of thing.

18. bamabikeguy

Keep in mind, the Lycra cowboys and Armstrong wannabe's are hitting 35+, does the speed limit affect them too???

19. OldPete

OldPete Guest

The cement bicycle path on the beach here in Long Beach, CA is limited to 15mph and no power assisted bicycles of any type are permitted. I do believe most all the bicycle paths in the local parks here have the same limitations.
    The bicycle paths that are on the banks of the rivers here are open to 30mph.

20. spunout

spunout Member

here's exactly what i Sent.
    the recent arrest of Steve livingston for riding a 'moped' is unjust and incorrect. here's what the state law is, regarding this issue...ARIZONA HB 2796 says, in part: B. For the purposes of this section, "motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle" means a bicycle or tricycle that is equipped with a helper motor that has a maximum piston displacement of forty-eight cubic centimeters or less, that may also be self-propelled and that is operated at speeds of less than twenty miles per hour.END_STATUTE

ok, steve's motored bicycle falls into those exact parameters.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007