Scratched head gasket surface

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by bygolly, Aug 3, 2010.

1. bygolly

bygolly New Member

Last week, my chain tensioner decided to come loose and removed most of the spokes on my rear wheel. Since my bike is down for now, I decided to rebuild the entire bike. When I took the cylinder head off, I noticed that there are many deep scratches on the gasket surface. What would be the best way to remove these? I was planning to sand the head anyways, but should I machine it instead?

Attached Files:

2. professor

professor Active Member

tape some 240 grit sandpaper to a flat surface (like a steel plate, machined table saw top, granite measuring block, real thick workbench top...). Sand around and around while turning the part.
    I flattened out a warped VW pressure plate using this method and 80 grit paper.

3. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

I mill both the cylinder and head on every build. I do it as it comes out of the box. I just happen to have a roll of DA paper. I stick a sheet to my garage window and go to town. Remove as little as possible to get a good surface. If too much is taken off you may need to double up on the head gasket to keep the piston from hitting the spark plug.