Screaming noise at about 20-25 MPH

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by erickster, Jun 23, 2008.

1. erickster

erickster Member

I was reading a post below about the "screaming" noise. I'm not sure if it's the same noise that I'M hearing. At about 15-20 MPH, my bike makes a "screaming" or high pitch "whining" noise. I thought it was my chain or something, but I could be wrong. Is it the gears inside the engine? I don't like to hit up my motor past 22 MPH, because it feels like something is going to break! Is this normal? I know I'm probably posting something that's been answered, but I guess some confirmation for MY situation might help before I try doing anything drastic.

2. datz510

datz510 Member

Yeah. that is the noise.. It's quite loud! What you are hearing is the gears in the clutch housing meshing. The straight cut gears resonate the clutch housing cover and cause the noise.

Here is a solution to the problem:

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=12236

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  3. erickster

erickster Member

Yeah, I read that.. I'll give that a try.

I HAD ONE MORE QUESTION:

My motor is a little hard to turn over when I let it sit for a day or so. I have to ride it up and down my hill once or twice to get it really going. What can I do to get it to turnover faster? If I ride it for a little while, and then kill it, and then re-start it a min. later, it'll turn over super easy. Why not hours later?

4. You using the choke?

5. erickster

erickster Member

I'm a newbie at this, so I'll ask a dumb question. The choke is the lever right? I leave it all the way down.

6. datz510

datz510 Member

You need to pull the lever upwards to choke the engine a bit. It should catch and start the first time you turn it over after this.

7. Yes. Next time you start it cold, flip it up, and try pushing the primer button on the other side of the carb a couple of times, start peddling then after it starts put it back down. I think this will solve the problem of hard starting the first time.

8. GasKicker

GasKicker Member

I have one motor that fires up first time every time with no choke. 2 others have to be choked about half way with every start up. These things are all different it seems. QC seems a bit dicey in China. Go figure!

9. GasKicker

GasKicker Member

Boy! Am I glad I read this thread.
    I decided to remove my clutch cover and apply the "fix" for that whine sound. I've never had that cover off before.
    "Look Ma! No Grease!" The primary gears were bone dry. Metal filings collecting inside the cover. I applied the cardboard inside the cover and put a healthy gob of grease on the gears.
    Geeze! Ya can't take anything for granted on these things!

10. Ya want to be stingy with that grease GasKicker, your clutch pucks are just behind that round plate. A little grease there and ya wont be going anywhere.

11. erickster

erickster Member

Ok, yeah-- that worked. The cardboard thing works well too.

So now that my motor turned over easier this time, does that mean I have to pull up the choke anytime I don't ride for days? Or did that fix the problem for a certain amount of time, or what?

12. blime81

blime81 New Member

If your motor is cold it usually requires the choke to start. Once running push the choke lever back down. If it dies, repeat and let the motor idle with the choke on for a bit (warm it up).
    If the motor is warm there should be no need to choke. If choking makes your warm engine makes it run better you need to adjust your carb.
    All the choke does is block off a bit of the air coming into the motor, richening the mix.

Long story short, sounds like your motor needs to be choked anytime it hasn't been ridden for a while, this is how it should be and why you have a choke. Once the motor is warm it will start easy.

13. erickster

erickster Member

Great! Thanks for that info. I've had my HT for a while, but I ride probably once every 2 or 3 days. Sometimes only once a week or every 2 weeks. So not too often. Work keep me too busy. :( :( :(