Seat Improvement(Dramatic)

Discussion in 'Bicycle Repair' started by fetor56, Feb 26, 2009.

1. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Simply add a third spring to the front your existing 2 spring setup(if possible)
    Under test conditions i deliberately when over known bumps at varying speeds & the difference was AMAZING.
    I'll go for a further/longer test ride later but so-far no adverse affects;NO wobbling sensation etc.

As an update i went for a longer ride today & everything worked perfect.
    For a fatigue softener this would have to be the best(and cheapest) fix imagineable.It probably won't work on all 2 spring seats but that doesn't take much figuring-out.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2009

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Not a bad idea. Good for you.

I'll give it a try.
  3. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Looks as though it would dramatically affect the tilt of the seat. Does it?
  4. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Not as much as u might think....the thick wire framework can also be bent at the front to compensate.
    If in doubt Zev0 try it on a rubbish seat & see what u you'll never go back.
  5. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

All you need is a CB on that thing and you'd sound like a trucker with air ride!
  6. Irish John

Irish John Guest

Where can I get a spring like that one Fetor?
  7. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

I cannabilized an old seat to get the spring & i'll be converting another seat with the leftover spring.
    Sit down with your spring & the seat & see if it's workable......probably most standard 2 spring seats are.
    It took me 1.5 hrs to do the job but i'm SLOW.
  8. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Another converted seat for a dual-suspension MTB....gotta go out now but i'll let ppl know tomorrow how it feels.
  9. Irish John

Irish John Guest

I have lots of saddles I've taken off bikes to replace with wide sprung saddles but none of those have a decent spring in them. They are all those weasel shaped things that have you walking bow-legged after 10 minutes of sitting on them. I'll have to look for an old saddle but few throw out bikes have sprung saddles. Is there such a thing as a spring shop?
  10. BoltsMissing

BoltsMissing Active Member

springers, !!

Attached Files:

11. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

country folk use those springs often

I find that thought interesting -- a spring shop ?

yes -- there must be spring experts around to be found

we had a old country hardward store that burnt down years ago now
    I remember that they carried a lot of different springs
    country folk use those springs often

ride the motor bike

RATRODER Guest

13. robin bird

robin bird Member

here is a picture of my real leather saddle i bought when i was 35---- now am 62---they take a while to break in ---but then they are fantastic---feel like a glove---wallingford cycles sells them for $180 (price of an engines) but they are fantastic

Attached Files:

14. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

There is,in Adelaide anyway & i suspect most major cities.
    All they sell is springs,or u can take your old spring there & tell them if u want it exactly duplicated...10% stronger/20% stronger,etc etc.
    Takes about 2 weeks to make & costs approx $30(depending on what u want)
    They also have a bin of springs for $2 each..........spring scrounger heaven.
  15. Irish John

Irish John Guest

I'm going to make my own saddle from kangaroo leather. That should have plenty of bounce even if I don't use any springs! I'll call it 'The Big Boomer B*m Bouncer'!
  16. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Update on second converted seat:
    Not as good as the first(cos of the smaller base area)
    A softer ride but not as comfortable over distance.
    I'm absolutely convinced the best seat your gonna get is one with a LARGE base & 3 springs.
    Now to look for a large base that accepts the 3 spring idea. :idea:
  17. BoltsMissing

18. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Thanks for the thought Pete.Cheaper to buy a seat from Toni at the Port Market,or hard rubbish by the side of the road....i'm not adverse to being a dirty rat. :grin5:
  19. BoltsMissing

Yeah I would not order a BROOKS either on their prices, but it's benchmark and if springs can be made up specificaly or near enough, depends on price/quantity
    I was thinking valve sprngs off a motor perhaps. To lengthen, simply heat just one part of the spring and stretch to desired length, the rest should still "spring" if the heat don't mess with the spring-steel :idea: