seat vibration

well I'm glad you're taking it that way. I just don't know how to get people thinking the right way after doing everything but doing it for them. Maybe that's what they are waiting for. I tell the latino women here that they are ruining their children for life by giving them all the love and attention they can stand and doing everything for them. They wind up as adults waiting for others to do things for them. totally spoiled good for nothing consumers.
Think
Decide
Act

That's kind of sounding like America these days.
To the OP, either
A: take Jaguar's advise, learn a little something, and save a bit of $$ in the long run,... or
B: buy something like those cranecreek thudbuster ( I think that's the name) suspension seatposts, I think the elastomers would negate some of the vibro getting to you.

welding the motor mounts on solid works for me. seems to make a loose rattly motor into a solid little runner. let the frame absorb the vibrations!

putting anything squishy between clamps and frame is pointless, if not counter productive from my way of thinking.

one. leave the clamps loose enough so the squishy stuff can squish. the motor then twists on the frame as theres only two mounts and an offset load. ie, the chain...

two. do the clamps up tight so that the squishy stuffed is all squished up. um...? all squished up....

"isolating" the motor simply lets it vibrate more... leaving it to shake around randomly.

at least in my experience it does...

pffft, balancing single cylinder twostrokes.... :giggle:

without a lighter wrist pin and a Jaguar CDI you really just don't know what you're missing. Laugh as you will about "balancing", the jokes on you. The imbalance in your motor wears out the conrod and crank bearings prematurely and limits its ability to rev since it has to fight against the imbalance.

I was under the impression that a single cylinder engine "cannot" be perfectly balanced for primary vibration; only the inherent vibration being tuned to a different rpm zone by altering the counter balance weight or altering the reciprocating weight.

Headsmess, you're busted! This is what you wrote in another post: "lost count of how many times ive lost a mount". On the other hand, I never lose a motor mount. Why? Because I believe you can fairly well balance a 2 stroke engine and you do not. I did the 2 essential steps to get rid of most of the vibration and you have not.

Fabian that is true, but we're not talking about "perfect". What happens is the offset force throughout the rpm range is not linear on a graph, whereas the counter force by an "imbalanced" flywheel is linear. Only if the two graphs were linear could a match be made for perfect balance. But to throw your hands in the air and just give up is nonsense. A good compromise can be had so that thru the whole rpm range there is no excessive imbalance between the two forces.

Last edited by a moderator:
How does the crankshaft (on a single cylinder engine) self balance the counter weight force vector when at 90 degrees to the piston?

I'm just going to throw my hands in the air and reduce vibration by reducing engine speed.
With torque boosting measures like a reed valve intake and a higher compression cylinder head and a Jaguar CDI and a SickBikeParts shift kit, you can keep the rpms below 3,500 and still have reasonable road speed as well as minimising vibration, not to mention significantly increasing engine life.

Headsmess, you're busted! This is what you wrote in another post: "lost count of how many times ive lost a mount". On the other hand, I never lose a motor mount.

Holy heck, it seems like someone has been busted big time.
We need a Jerry Springer style, trial by jury, complete with scantly clad women and jurors ready to feed the accused into the lion pit (filled with a Jaguar that has not eaten in a month); using only a plastic spatula as a weapon and a trash can lid as shield.

Now will somebody pass me a beer and a side dish of cheese, crackers, dips, cabana and a decent red wine.
I just want to sit back for the show :devilish:

The force is upward when the piston is at TDC which is counterbalanced by the flywheels being heavier on the side opposite of the connecting rod pivot (due to holes around that pivot)

Back