Second annual Mid Atlantic MB Rally, Cape Henlopen (Lewes) DE September 26 & 27, 2009

Quenton, here's the information you need. First, the dates are as shown in the thread title, September 26 & 27. Things are looking like we'll be holding it at the very same place in the park (Cape Henlopen State Park) as last year. I'm trying to get group pricing for the Red Mill Inn, so I'm asking for a tentative head count. I'll post that appeal in a seperate post so it doesn't get lost amongst this information. The park also has a campsite for those interested in camping.
It looks like we will have secure storage for the bikes overnight (in Battery 519 again), so nobody will have to worry about their bikes disappearing overnight off a trailer or bike rack.
Current plans are to have a number of rides throughout the park, and into Lewes. I'd like to try to arrange a "gag" photo shoot with the bikes lined up to go on the Cape May - Lewes Ferry.
Like last year, we can have a ride-out to The Irish Eyes Pub & Restuarant for lunch (if it has reopened by then - it's temporarily closed). Striper Bites Bistro or Gilligan's Waterfront Restaurant & Bar would be nice alternatives if Irish Eyes isn't open. We can also do some grillin' there at the park and have a picnic.
Also, let's not forget the possibility of an informal swap meet. Let's just sell out of the back of cars / vans / trucks, no setting up tables. The park may frown upon something overtly commercial in nature.
There are a number of things to do in the park itself, a stop by the Nature Center or Fort Miles Historical Site (a WWII Coastal Artillery Site) might be of interest to some attending the rally. I'm a volunteer at Fort Miles, so I can be a temporary tour guide for our group that weekend. Also, the 261st CAC (Coastal Artillery Company - all reenactors) will be conducting a drill weekend there that weekend, so we can harass my buddies (did I say that?)...
Also, Delaware does have a helmet law of sorts. You must have the helmet with you and displayed while you ride. It does not necessarily need to be worn. They do not specify DOT helmet, so if anyone plans to ride with a regular bike helmet that will probably be fine.

Last edited:
Hotel Room Head Count

I'm trying to negotiate group pricing at the Red Mill Inn (which is nearby). The motel is pet-friendly and has WIFI (which works better in some rooms than others).
How many of those planning to attend would be interested in staying at the motel? Please let me know soon, so I can try to negotiate our rooms at a group rate.

Last edited:
Count Bonnie & I in at the hotel for Saturday & Sunday night. I took a vacation day Monday so we can stay late at the rally Sunday. Anyone else staying Sunday night?
Jay

Book soon

I should have added. It was $85. plus $7. tax per night. Book soon because there's a big NASCAR race that weekend in Dover.
Jay

Ya beat me to the post, Jay

NASCAR ALERT! NASCAR ALERT!
There is a race at Dover on Sunday 9/27, and as a result we can expect rooms to start drying up quickly. Dover is only an hour north of the rally. I've booked my room, as has JBCruisin'. The rate was $85 per night (plus occupancy tax, which makes it $92) at the Red Mill Inn at Lewes. Rooms aren't likely to be any cheaper, unless you head farther south. If you want to book at Red Mill, the phone number is: (302) 645-9736.

Quenton just e-mailed me to say that he and his wife have booked at the Red Mill Inn for the weekend. So far, that's Q and his wife, Jay and Bonnie, Jim (RdKryton) and myself who are staying there. For those on the fence, I hope they don't run out of rooms soon!

I plan on leaving thursday evening and do half the trip, stay with my bikes overnite. Drive the other 4 1/2 hrs on friday. I'm staying with my sister in Laurel about 30 miles down Rt. 9. I had planned on doing the trip last year but my bike accident got in the way. Thats my plan and Im stickin with my story Sir.

I plan on leaving thursday evening and do half the trip, stay with my bikes overnite. Drive the other 4 1/2 hrs on friday. I'm staying with my sister in Laurel about 30 miles down Rt. 9. I had planned on doing the trip last year but my bike accident got in the way. Thats my plan and Im stickin with my story Sir.

We are definitely looking forward to seeing you there, Ray!

Back