Second Assault of the Pettus Bridge -Selma AL 30 yrs later

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by srdavo, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

The Second Assault of the Pettus Bridge - 30 years later

Today is March 4, keep your eye on media coverage of the Bridge Crossing Celebration in Selma, Alabama. See if you can catch a guy on a red bike zipping around the place.......

[​IMG]

In January, on my way down to Mobile, I spent some time in Selma.

http://www.selmatimesjournal.com/articles/2007/01/26/news/local/news 1365.txt

[​IMG]

The Director of the Voting Rights Museum, 2 doors down from the Selma Times Journal, upon hearing I was a member of Benedictines for Peace, invited me to the museum and urged me to come back for the ceremonial re-enactment of the bridge crossing. A former teacher, Sr. Roberta, was a major figure during that crucial time.

So, this was BEFORE I heard Obama and Hillary, NOW Bill were going to be there.

The ONLY way to get national coverage nowadays seems to involve an "accident", so I don't know if I'll bowl over a contender, hit a news van, or go ahead and fly the bike off the bridge, play it by ear.

This is not my first confrontation with the Pettus Bridge, 30 years ago we set history, trying to float the BIGGEST MONSTROSITY ever entered, in the Alabama River Raft Race. 7 sections, 76 inner tubes, a crew of over 50 folks.

[​IMG]

The day of the sinking of the USS Middle Earth was also the day Lynyrd Skynyrd's plane fell out of the sky.

A good freind from the Grateful Dead parking lots days, "Shaggy" passed away a week ago, so I am dedicating this publicity stunt to the memory of Mark Wesley Hughes.

I will be carrying 3 raw eggs, so if I'm arrested, see if the report includes those eggs in my possession. 2 will have the names of the dear departed, Shaggy and Amanda, and the other will have the name of a living buddy, so he can answer questions from the press about the idiot on the red bike, flying off the Pettus Bridge.

But I hope to get a picture of a few celebrities shaking hands in front of the bike "See, these folk can agree on ONE thing, Crabtree is an idiot, but the bike works".

I'll be pointing the camera, on 3 everybody say "Gore for Prez."

That should be a good picture.

Dear Reader-
    You can help MB.com by using the e-bay search bar at the top of the page, & it doesn't cost a cent

Please read Tom's post about e-bay:
    http://www.motoredbikes.com/viewtopic.php?t=730

2. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

good luck on this, bama.
    I'll be looking for ya.

3. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

I took sole possesion of the Pettus Bridge at around 9 a.m. Sunday March 4, 2007.

[​IMG]

I fortified the position, and prepared for the late arrivals....

[​IMG]

uh oh, squeezed to the outer edge, again !!!!!

[​IMG]

retreat ~~~hold your fire !!

[​IMG]

I will post the story when it gets amassed.....as you can tell, Hillary did not appreciate the "smile, say Gore" joke, but I like Obama's take on the matter.

Montgomery Register......

Ya just gotta like the "son of a goatherder", pretty disarming, eh?

4. bamabikeguy

Pretty well Finished-.

Never EVER Trust the Associated Press x
    Checking the Mojo x
    Scoping the Bogus x
    A Bishop and a Pope Walked into a Bar x
    The Buffalo Soldiers and the Cycle of the Day Award
    Obama, Son of a Goat Herder
    Fighting Parade Surge Syndrome x
    Talking to the Secret Service? How did you Get Here so Fast?
    Whose Running this Circus? I Surrender the High Ground ! x
    Making Arrangements- Where I'll Be January 20, 2009 x
    A Sign from Above Shaggy Checks Out x

Trivia topic begun 3/5 here:
    http://www.motoredbikes.com/viewtopic.php?t=836

First Impression (music on) : Ode to Billy Joe (Bobbie Gentry) Hillary's chances went flying off the Pettus Bridge.

Never EVER Trust the Associated Press

The Selma Times Journal estimated 20,000 folks on hand, two reporters of S T-J interviewed me when the March was kicking off, haven't found that link.

http://www.selmatimesjournal.com/articles/2007/03/05/news/local/news 1266.txt

But, the AssPress estimated 1,000, & probably the reporter wasn't there, so they are now deemed irrelevant for the duration. I believe nothing AssPress says, need confirmation.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070305/ap_on_re_us/selma_bridge_crossing

By Alvin Benn- Montgomery Advertiser No estimate quoted , and I'll read his full article when the mail arrives this afternoon.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2007-03-04-clinton-obama-selma_N.htm

Checking the Mojo

[​IMG]

PHOTO #1 - The Edgar Cayce Moment - 32 years ago I read at least 20 Cayce books, so yeah, been there, done that, better keep radar up.

[​IMG]

I forgot ALL about his photography background.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Cayce

And, hmmmm, there is NOT a mention of his "Alabama Period" in Wiki, no mention of Selma at all, so I guess I'm as on the ball as those guys. Does AssPress also own Wiki ??

Have the 2 regular amulets, 25 gold colored G. Washington dollars, a sign from the Cullman Vigil. Right away I bought the first shirt I came upon, [$10- w/ 6 colors- 2 sides], used it to cushion 3 fresh eggs from the barn into smallest backpack pocket.
    5 layers of shirts, including GAMA Music Festival Jan 13-15, 1995, birthplace of the Stagecrew from Hell. Also, a gift from my fiancé Jennifer arrived, a Benedictine handbook, to record autographs and notes.
    Yep, if I fly off the Bridge, I'll absolutely sink !. Everybodies covered, all interested parties have a piece of the science and the fiction.....

Scoping the Bogus

Television- Check

[​IMG]

Right at the start I had to cut my engines after 3 snarly looks on the nearly deserted thouroughfare.

My first Interview- with the ITALIAN press WTH?

[​IMG]

The guy with the notebook not only asked a few questions in a really heavy accent. Later, as the march proceeded, we had a "matador/el toro" moment.

I need to find out who this Edmund guy is:

[​IMG]
    A Bishop and a Pope Walked into a Bar

The Most Reverend Moses Anderson

Ordained a bishop in January 1983, Anderson had been the senior active African-American bishop in the country. Anderson said that in retirement he intended to remain busy with some writing and musical projects and cooking and organic gardening. He plans to donate his extensive collection of African and African-American art to Xavier University in New Orleans, which is the only historically black Catholic college in the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moses_Anderson

[​IMG]

The elderly priest arrived about 10 minutes after I rolled in, when I gave him greetings from the Benedictines for Peace in Cullman, which he said he had passed through on the way down from Detroit.
    When he responded with Peace greetings from the Society of St. Edmund, he had me stumped.

Not knowing anything about the S.S.E., I bluffed my way through stating Well, Benedictines are always first on the scene, go down with the ship, and I can't keep track of the all the sideways fracases! .

My auto focus then went KAPUT!

I accompanied him into adjoining Albert Hall, describing my multi-tasked reason for being in Selma, and started with asking for a proper Bishop sized prayer for Mark Wesley Hughes. I explained, and he like the idea of physically going on a mission for a cause, Quixotic are you ? ?

Meanwhile, he's putting together his 3 part staff, and I'm holding the crown peice. The beadwork is 100 years old, done by Benedictine Sisters in Vermont, who didn't fully appreciate it's history, for under the beads are 600 year old African engravings.
    So cool, this is 100 years older than the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria.
    It is amazing how much knowledge can be exchanged in a "knowing conversation" with a godly man. I don't compare notes, but think he gave me a super-duper S.S.E. prayer. He also knew of Robert Anton Wilson's passing last month, so I didn't have to fully explain my active participation in the Stagecrew from Hell.

[​IMG]

The Sisters of Selma, aired in February on PBS, and a former administrator at both Cullman College and Southern Benediction College figured prominently in the documentary.

While I didn't bring an 8 by 10 glossy for the Voting Rights Museum, I found a couple of pictures of Sr. Roberta A. Schmidt, C.S.J. in 1977 yearbook.

[​IMG]

The following quotes come from Sisters of Selma Homepage.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~sistersofselma/index.html

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2015
  5. bamabikeguy

My mailbox runneth under:

Forum member Jaybuzz from Abalama gets hasty:

The Sisters at Sacred Heart show patience:

And the Alabama Kossacks wax poetic:

6. bamabikeguy

So, I delivered the last two puppies, met the guy from Iraq south of Montgomery, and picked up the local paper.......

[​IMG]

With a magnifying glass, I can even see my mustache......

[​IMG]

Well, that don't work, back to the photo/pixel lab.....

[​IMG]

One more try.....

[​IMG]

ahhh, much, much clearer. :???:

Arbitrary collage.....

[​IMG]

7. excellent story paul - with your disarming personality you should be a paid reporter yourself, but that would go against your religion of non-officiality...

8. Who would have guessed these same two are still running today.
    I had to bump this old thread cause I've never read this before.

9. bamabikeguy

How cold you think it'll be January 20,2009??

It would take a bigger crowd than 4 million to block me and Rocinante !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.