Second day going to work...

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RedBaronX, Sep 15, 2010.

1. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

If you have only ridden your bike for a few days, and you've only ridden to and from work once before... and if you look into your tank and think, "um, yeah, that looks like enough gas to get to work..."

you would be wrong...

I guess running out of gas for the first time in my life, doing so on an odd little home-made bike with no gas gauge doesn't make me feel like a fool... too much...

2. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Been the, done that, got the tee shirt. :jester: Still feel like a fool. :poop:

3. domino

domino New Member

First time....Learn from it
    Second time...You might be a fool
    Third time....Take the motor off and use the pedals.
    I hope none of us have to go there....but sometimes I think....

4. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Yea dont feel bad ..I did that too..got into the toolbag and took that motor drive chain off..still did not like peddaling that thing home in 100 degrees

5. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

I found a gas station in about a mile, which on an out-of-the-box pedal bike would not have been so bad... but my bike weighs easily 80 pounds... and I'm dressed for motoring, not pedaling...

I was only a little more than half way to work; there's no way I would have made it pedaling all the way.

But I had to laugh at myself about it and share it with everyone else

6. hybrid

hybrid Member

Want a solution? Get on Ebay and order yourself an actual motorcycle tank. Way better than trying to carry around 2 cycle gas mix in a container somewhere on your bike (not recommended!)

7. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

I have a 1.8 gallon tank, but I am still in break-in, so not getting good gas mileage... by the time I started riding the other day, I probably had a gallon in it: a half dozen 5-8 mile trips around the hood, then 30 miles commuting to work Monday, and then half way to work Tuesday... the gas in there went by fast...

8. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

Like I told my son when he was riding his to work "whats so hard filling it up every other day" I have a number of 5 gal fuel containers (for my 5th wheel generator). I have one for unmixed fuel, also have a 2.5 gal we keep mixed fuel in. The fuel won't go bad for months, if that.

9. mbatl

mbatl Guest

I ran out of gas once because instead of going straight home from work I decided to tour through the town and play in some parking lots and stuff. After that, it ran out of gas about 3 miles from the station!

10. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

As a former chopper pilot, my motto always has been "never pass up an opportunity to top off a fuel tank". I top off before every ride and carry 1/4 gallon in an MSR container with a 20:1 oil/fuel mixture. The 20:1 allows me to not have to add oil if I top off with pure gasoline at a gas station during a longer ride.

11. Ypedal

Ypedal Member

In 6 years of motored bikes ( electric ) i have not yet run out of fuel, sort of amazing really.. I have had system failures and had to pedal home but i can only count 4 and 2 of those happened within 100m of my driveway lol...

A few of my rides don't even have functional pedals so it's even more critical to have a reliable bike and know how far you can go..

How far are you guys getting on a full tank from an HT kit ?

12. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

I get an easy 65 miles on my 1/2 gallon tank and that is pretty much 3/4 to full throttle the entire time.

Unless you are carrying a trailer of batteries, I doubt an electric can have the same range and speed.

13. Ypedal

Ypedal Member

Nice !!.. I'm still on my first half gallon of 16:1 , 65 miles is much more than i would ever do in a day..

65 miles on batteries would require 20 lbs of lipo ( or 150 lbs of lead ) ,

My work commuter ebike ( full suspension rear 20" hub motor 100v 5ah Lipo pack ) bike runs 7 lbs worth for 20 miles available, only need 12 so i have more than enough, but it absolutely blows away my HT bike on performance.

I have to park my bike inside an office ( would only last 10 minutes on the outside bike rack.. thieves :veryangry:.... ) so the 2 stroke is out of the question as a commuter for me.. but.. i have some country roads that bring me to a Restaurant 20 miles away.. so there and back on a tank will be awsome !!!!...

Does anyone sell a plastic tank for these kits ? or does everyone improvise ?

14. domino

domino New Member

I think Terry and Blow BY U bikes sells a plastic tank

15. retromike3

retromike3 Member

top your tank!

What I did for my last motor was to have a two gallon tank and fill it up and mix it with the oil I needed, then when I got back home I toped off my tank when I got inside the garage. I only ran out of gas once and that was coming home from a nearby town. I just put the clutch in and pedaled. Right now I am between motors and I am having a hard time getting worked up for putting the motor back on the bike. Its a lot of fun just to ride around.

I have a new motor and light set for it including a S.B.P. tuned pipe. I guess I set it up next week but for right now its just fun to pedal around. Its a old nineties Giant mountain bike that I set up with a longer front fork(700c that I brazed new cantilever studs on) . This gave it a slacker head angel, so it is a real strait line tracker and with full fenders and a rear rack and 26 by 1.5 tires its just bomb proof. Its got V brakes and eight speed thumb shifters(Suntour Expert) that just wont fail. Since I am going back to school in two weeks I will probably start hooking it up tomorrow.

I think I will build a cruiser around town bike because I do need the exercise and leave the long haul bike for my motor bicycle. I already have five bikes what's one more?

mike

16. Hawaii_Ed

Hawaii_Ed Member

I added on the one gallon tank and can roll about 120 miles on a tank. On Oahu, that takes me all the way around the Island :)

17. unior

unior Member

My HF auger engine has a puny .26 gallon tank so I just throw a gallon in my backpack for the 25+ mile trips.