Bike Security Security Issues

Discussion in 'Stolen Bicycles & Security' started by Anigai, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Anigai

Anigai New Member

any of you guys got any recomendations for security. i dont want my bike getting stole so i use a u-lock as well as a thick square link chain.
    do you think that would be enough?

also, my HT engines gas tank is crying out for a petrol cap with a lock on it that would take a key. i dont want anybody putting any type of **** in my tank if im not around lol
    any ideas where i could get one of those? :tt1:

2. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

Just be sure to secure both the frame and the front wheel. EBay sells a cheap motion detector siren that may be useful.

3. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

wow, a little too paranoid?
    if I had to worry that much, i'd just walk everywhere.

4. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

hey, I understand how he feels. I have spent close to a thousand dollars on this hobby and do not take chances with thieves. It hurts too much to have something you love stolen.

5. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

Bike Alarm

Click on the link below. They have quite a bit of biking accessories, including the same alarms that are being sold on eBay. I've bought several items from this place, including 2 different bike alarms, and haven't had any problems. The items I've gotten from them seem to be just as good of quality as anything you might buy from Walmart or other places After all, most of the stuff you buy at Walmart is just China junk too ! My theory is, if I'm going to have to buy China made junk, why should I pay retail price ? I bought a trailer hitch mounted bike rack from Harbor Freight for about $25.00. The sam rack, just different packaging, along with te same manufacture info printed on the package at Walmart was over $100.00. The very same ting. So..there you go ! Hope this helps.

http://www.dealextreme.com/c/bike-accessories-1607?page=1&pagesize=52&pagesort=relevance

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  6. Anigai

Anigai New Member

omg thanks a lot guys. i do live in a bad area and id be very hesitant to leave the bike anywhere in plain sight of a potental robber lol

ideally id like at least some way to lock the tank though, i definately dont want anybody puting any **** into my gas.
    anybody know about some way or another to lock up the tank? :whistling:

7. CroMagnum

CroMagnum Member

According to "universitymotor" in this thread, he ordered this locking gas cap and it fit the Chinese tear drop tank that came with his BikeBerry 66cc kit.

8. toojung2die

toojung2die Member

THAT is really useful information. Thank you.

9. Anigai

Anigai New Member

thanks dude, hes right. thats very useful. ill be ordering one of those from 1977 mopeds next friday now :cool2:

also, i didnt know there was another forum like us too lol

10. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Both forums are good, IMO.

I use a locking gas cap too. I had to slightly file the tangs on the gas cap neck.

For security, I use a cable to safeguard my front wheel. Then I use a FUGETABOUTIT motorcycle chain to secure my frame and rear wheel to the bike rack at work.

I leave the chain and cable on the rack at work, so I don't have to carry its 15lbs on my bike. That chain is HEAVY!

11. Anigai

Anigai New Member

ive got a very good bicycle chain thats got square links that im going to buy a very good padlock for. ive also got a cheap u lock which i thought would be enough until i found out about the bic pen trick but it should be enough or my front wheel.

ill pretty much be using it everyday going back and forth to college and ill leave it in the underground car park but thats why i want the locking cap :jester:

12. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Bic pen trick? Please explain.

13. cloud_2901

cloud_2901 Member

I'm guessing jam a bic pen into the u-locks keyhole and jimmy away..

If a thief knew what they were doing and wanted your bike though, a padlock won't save it.

I can lock-bump padlocks in 20 seconds (if it's a bad brand), learned about it on the net, apparently FBI / CIA used it for years for surveillance without warrants. Jam a bump into the lock, and give it a solid whack in the right spot, opens no worries, leaves no trace of being tampered with.

Practice on your own padlocks, some are easier than others, try to find the hardest one to bump.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5177213949300140850

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  14. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

I use a U lock to lock the frame to a rack and then use a cable lock to secure the front wheel to the frame.

And-- "hidden from thieves" sounds good, but a bike out in plain sight cane be more of a deterrent. I would like to think that if someone is cutting my lock while my bike in plain sight, someone would realize something was wrong

15. Tyler6357

Tyler6357 Member

Sweet! Thank you! This forum is awesome!

16. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

two for the price of none

great idea to lock that MB THING
    best we can anyway
    sold a lot of bicycles years ago in my bike shop
    noticed that most were stolen from garages or yards
    left there available to grab as wanted
    but
    one poor guy had two or three stolen from
    inside his locked garage
    while also locked to his plumbing pipes
    I guess
    that if a Pro really wants it
    he is going to get that THING

always lock that Thing to a stiff pole

my friend and I when we were young
    locked our two new bikes together
    they got two for the price of none

MM​

17. Anigai

Anigai New Member

this one says it all. omg i was soooooo supprised
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LahDQ2ZQ3e0

i remember once a few years ago i locked me and my friends bike to a railing outside the mall, it was such a bad lock that the key broke off into it. it was only €2 so what do you expect lol
    i had to call my dad who took a hacksaw with him when he cycled up to us to saw the lock off. i even asked security to help me take it off. me and my friend were waiting about an hour before my dad got there. about halfway through the terribly bad lock these guys showed up on their bikes with a bullsnips looking ready to steal our bikes. lucky me lol

go the bike back in the end but it got a puncture one day after i hit the back rim off a big bolder sending me onto the road lol. i wheeled it on the front wheel back to my friends where it waited for 8 months due to my lazy self before finally being robbed by a few 5, 6 and 7 years olds out of his back garden lol

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2015