Seeking advice about first motor bike...

MikeSSS

Local time
2:32 AM
The details are below. Comments/advice are needed. Thanks.

Bike Motor Choice

1 Must be: QUIET, smooth, reliable, trouble/drama free, long life, pump gas is a plus

2 Must: pedal as if motor is not there, other than weight, when motor is disengaged

3 Want: relaxed cruise 15 to 17 mph, top speed over 20 mph

4 Goal: high MPG, easy gear ratio change is a plus

4 Use: Suburbs, country, 4 to 100 mile rides, stops every 15 miles

5 Local: Hot, dry, flat with rollers, occasional max grade 5%, 1000 ft elevation

6 Bikes: have mountain bike, road bike, full suspension mountain bike

7 Rider: 250 lb, old, ex-cyclist

8 Considering: Dax or Staton Friction Drive, Honda or Subaru 35cc class motor

Advice/comments?

Thanks

Being able to raise and lock the roller off the tire is a big plus of the FD system.

At some point a decision has to be made, it has, Staton FD and Robin Subaru 33.5cc motor.

After the build and test rides I'll post the results.

At some later time I might try a Honda 50cc or a Titan 50cc.

For toys, these are the good old days!

Agreed. You should be happy with a 4 stroke friction drive, but get a good kit. It is worth the extra money.

MikeSSS has ownership of my r/s staon 1 1/8th roller kit. He will be pleased.

The bike is a Specialized Rock Combo 21", the frame is too big, but this bike and I have travelled over 5,000 miles together. This includes a few two day, 150 mile rides, several 100 mile in a day rides and countless 35 to 60 mile rides. Previously, I had stripped the bike down, it has taken many hours in the hot garage to find all the parts to put it back together. It has a suspension seatpost, drop bars with bar end shifters and very wide gearing range. Tires are Performance Gothams, with thick tubes and slime. The "first" test ride was an hour ago, it went well.

After riding five or ten miles, the Staton kit will go on the bike. Waiting is hard to do but I want everything to go well with this build.

Darwin, thanks for selling me the kit and motor. I'll let you know how it is going.

Life is good!

Back