Seeking Gasket Sheet Material for Fuel Pump Diaphragm

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by WZ507, Apr 1, 2014.

1. WZ507

WZ507 Member

This isn't exactly a motorbike question but figured the 2-stroke forum would be the best place to ask. I have a small vintage Tanaka 2 stroke, circa 1970, that needs a new carb diaphragm gasket, since the existing one is like cardboard. I don't believe such a part is available any longer but figured if I could procure the correct gasket sheet stock it would be trivial to make one. Therefore, I am asking "does anyone know where such gasket sheet stock is available?" I suspect it would be a very thin nylon or aramid fiber sheet impregnated with Buna N or Viton rubber and have a thickness somewhere in the range of 0.005" to 0.015" thick. I see very thin flexible diaphragm gaskets when I purchase rebuild kits for 2 stroke carbs, but can't seem to find the same material as a bulk sheet.

I see that McMaster-Carr has something that might work, but at 1/64" thick (0.015") it sounds too heavy. Click the 1st option - "All Purpose Gaskets" for the aramid Buna N coated gasket.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#gasket-sheets/=rcstgd

I'm hoping that someone that is hip deep in 2-stroke stuff will just say, "oh yeah, that stuff is common and you can get it here". Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

2. OCCStingray

OCCStingray Member

In a pinch I have made gaskets out of old ice cream container/lids. Gasket paper is available from most auto parts stores. Hope that helps.