She lives! My first ride.

vonstringer

Local time
12:55 PM
Just fired up my creation for the first time. A couple of coughs and a moment of hesitancy, then off she went. I'm so happy. Yippee!

Attachments

• purple_bike.jpg
    purple_bike.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 263
Congratulations on your build!
I sincerely hope that you have made doubly sure that the chain tensioner clamped to the lower chain stay cannot rotate into the rear wheel spokes. They are notorious for doing that. I am just trying to save you alot of grief and heartache.....

Thanks for the tip GearNut, she's on good and tight. Today I modified the exhaust bracket that came with the kit and it is now on and supporting my little sausage muffler.

I wiped wiped out 6 spokes on my first ride'get rid of the nuts and bolts that come with it get the stongest you can find. I also had them send me a front cog and went to the hardware and got two fiber washers that fit in the gear and a bolt thhat has the shoulder that you can tighten a half nutto the very on of the shoulder and the cog will free wheel wala no more worrin about wearing the chain tensioner fiber dounut

I'm heading back to the rubbish dump this weekend to get a bicycle chain tensioner and a spring and see if I can make something better.

Yes, I have been using locktite. Don't want bits falling off as I go down the road.

Hi everyone,

Well, I went to the recycling centre on the weekend and picked up a bike chain tensioner. After much mucking around with brackets and bits and bobs, I finally found a simple way to mount it that works extremely well. I did try using the double cogs that came with it, but they obviously didn't fit the chain and would bind up, so I whipped the wheel of my standard tensioner and used that. It makes the chain run smooth and quiet compared to before.

There is still a little roughness at the engine drive gear, but this is probably the rather square toothed cog. Maybe I need to do a little filing.

Attachments

• tensioner.jpg
    tensioner.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 178
Very, very clever! It looks like it should work well. Just be careful that the top run does not go too slack when you drop throttle and the rear wheel turns the engine instead of the engine turning the rear wheel.

Back