Sheared engine mount bolt inside mount

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by impression, Feb 25, 2009.

1. impression

impression Member

Gday all, well umm yah. the left engine mount bolt got sheard and there's 5mm of exposed bolt for me to deal with

i tried using easy outs, but in pre-drilling the bolt for the easy-out tool it snapped off inside the bolt.

so, in desperation i tried to drill out with a larger drill bit, but it just spins on top of the previous drill bit broken inside of the bolt.

Using pliers was no help in trying to manually undo the bolt as trying to undo the bolt the pliers just slip along the thread on the exposed bolt.

i believe my only cause of action is to weld either the middle mount piece permanently to the engine or to weld an old spanner or something to the exposed bolt.

Welding an old spenner ect: i don't think will work as the bolt sheared off is grade 8 high tensile steel i thik and the block ( mount itself and the rest of the engine) is soft aluminium.

any tips for me ?

edit: i also don't have any welding gear :(

2. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Ultimately i suspect this is going to get ugly,but let's deal with clean/simple fixes first.
    First:u could try filing FLAT opposite sides of that 5mm high-tensile bolt u have sticking out & putting a small shifter there to undo.Apply heat BEFORE u try to tension the bolt out...even if it's heat in the form of a paint-stripper gun any heat is better than none.
    The 5mm bolt is important in it's present form so try not to wreck it.
    Pics would help.

3. POPS

POPS Member

You said that you think that the bolt/stud is a grade 8. Are we talking a happy time motor ? Because unless you changed the stud your self it's made of silly puddy. Maybe grade 2-3. If there is still 5mm sticking out heat the block with a torch and put a pair of vice grips on there and crank it out...POPS

4. impression

impression Member

i bought the bike from another member here, according to him he changed everything he could to grade 8 high tensile bolts.

i was going to grab some vice grips today, but i opted not to and talk to a few mechanic shops on the way to work, so now i'm going to take the engine in and see what they can do for me :)

5. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

ride the motor bike

that may be the best idea
    although with the right tools and some or much shop experience
    seems almost anything can be done

it's hard to beat a man at his trade
    mechanic and machine shops deal with these issues almost daily
    should be about a 5 min fix -- key word -- should
    cost --- free to 7 dollars

ride the motor bike

6. impression

impression Member

If the guy is cool and helps me out he'll get a suprise bottle of Jack Daniels ;) 700ml

7. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

then when it's repaired

that could be the beginning of a you and machine shop guy friendship

yes years ago I worked in a large machine shop or two
    sure is nice having at most times the exact right tool

today my home tools are a little slim compared to back then

I have a buddy down the mountain -- pretty full machine shop
    for those type things gives me a chance to drop in and see him
    and the price for these types of small repairs is usually -0-

have a good day -- then when it's repaired -- ride the motor bike

8. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Fair enough if u opt to take it to a mechanic,not my first choice but to each their own.Make sure u get to the cause of the problem(eg,excessive vibration) so it doesn't happen again.

9. impression

impression Member

well, rather pay a few bucks and have someone with experience doing this many times have a go and learn from it, he/she also will have a lot more and probably the right tools available handy :)

that and i need to go to the same place anyways for a motorbike rear vision mirror :p

10. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

That's why i said "fair enough"....if u don't have the right tools your behind the 8-ball to start with.

11. impression

impression Member

dropped it off @ the shop and hopefully they call me soon and its fixed /crosses fingers

hope it doesn't cost too much otherwise i would've just bought a new 66/80cc engine and kept this one as a spare lol

( bike still does 40-45k top speed, but wont go to 55k cause of vibrations/mount problem )

12. impression

impression Member

ok, the shop was able to get the bolt out :D

but not before i went out and got the 80cc ( really 66 cc) kit.

so now i have an extra kit and a few spare parts :p

put the 66cc on and it's a lot more torqy up hills when i went for a quick test ride up my street.

now i have to get going to work, but tonight i'll be testing and fine tuning it ( using fuel mix needle)

( btw umm, how do i tune a carb ? what's the jets thing about ? )

13. stv1jzgte

stv1jzgte Member

Haha Nice tag!

14. impression

impression Member

yep, now you have to add yours :p