Sheltered or wild life

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by machiasmort, Sep 21, 2009.

Have you ever ate a live fish or Game (red meat) that you have killed, over a fire?

1. Fish and game, yes, eaten over a fire I've built, killed by me.

17 vote(s)
  2. fish over fire I've built, killed by me.

2 vote(s)
  3. Never, I'd rather go to win Dixie!

0 vote(s)
  1. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

I want to know how many people out there have led a wild or sheltered life?

This is a White Zone thread not Combustion Chamber!!!!

Please take the quiz and be HONEST!

2. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Marty, I started hunting when I was 5 years old and still wearing leg braces. Fishing about the same age.

My question to you is, how many different types of game have you hunted and eaten?
  3. machiasmort

Gosh Simon, your really making me think... When I go fishing, I fish for one specific species, not whatever bites! LOL!

Deer(a), rabbit(a),squirel(a),pheasent(a)(LOL!),woodchuck(almost tried) didn't like killing them but they were stealing my insulation to line their holes with...

There's too many for me to list Brother, frogs, geese ect.
  4. suspect

suspect Member

caught lots of fish, a bit of rabbit, wild turkey(cooked that in an oven tho) eaten quite a lot of deer(venison) and wild pork, but i didnt knife that myself(you dont use a gun for pigs)
    tried wild goat, altho it wasnt one i shot, it wasnt bad, ive killed(trapped and shot) more possum than anything else, but you dont eally eat that ****.

oops meant to add this link, its near where i live.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  5. SimpleSimon

That sounds fun enough, although the pigs are apparently pretty small. I've killed wild boar in the Big Thicket that went 450 pounds dressed weight. We mostly did that from horse-back, with 12 foot hog pikes with crossbars.

Best game I ever hunted was in South Africa - baboons. They start hunting you, and a full grown baboon can pretty literally rip your arm off and beat you to death with it.
  6. suspect

suspect Member

yeh, there arent many big as ones tho you hear stories, they get hunted VERY regularly tho so rarely get that huge, its usually big old sows, the boars are more of a prize so get hunted more
  7. machiasmort

LOL! That pic! I'm pretty sure NYState has a Law against picking up pigs on my Bike! LOL! They must have something on the books!

This ain't the CC, watch the comments!!!

I've never hunted bore but heard they are a big problem down south.

Seen a program on discovery channel "Pig Bomb". Try to check it out if you get a chance!
  8. sparky

sparky Active Member

Only done the fish & fire, myself. Killed plenty of wildlife... but the prairie dogs were just for fun. The quail and deer I took home.
  9. machiasmort

It's not for everyone. Even to this day, I don't like cleaning red meat. I pray for everyone of Gods creatures I take. I've been pretty lucky so far and nothing I've ever shot has really suffered.

I've helped track a few deer that were in pretty bad shape. It pays to target practice.

I don't know whats wrong w/these people, but I've regularly gotten close enough to stab deer if I wanted. I was tracking a wounded doe one time and it got close enough to stick her head out and smell the end of my pistol. Actually touched the site w/her nose... She wasn't the one that was wounded, so I didn't pull the trigger. She reared back on her hind legs, jumped straight up in the air (like a horse) and almost landed on me!
  10. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Used to hunt quail with single barrel 12 gauge...had a real smart dog..would chase them down this hole and let them out one at a time so I could reload
  11. machiasmort

LOL!, It's crazy how smart animals can be, especially dogs...

Ain't been on much, been catchin Walleye here in Buffalo off of the "Bird Island peer".

We call it the break wall. It runs about 1 1/2 miles down the river to the mouth of the Lake(Erie). All the way at the end, they've been hitting. Rare to catch them off of shore. Pulled two last night. 1 about 9lbs and another about 5lbs. Every bone in my body feels broken and it's tough to even type...

I feel like I'm 100 years old! Well worth it tho, these fish are the Lobster of Lake Erie! My Grandfather would have been happy for me! I'll try and take some pics, I ate one last night and have the head and guts out of the other.

Like I said, whether you disagree or not, I personally thank God for everything. I was thanking him last night that I didn't land another one, carrying what I had back!

Google Bird Island peer (Buffalo,NY), Switch to sattilite view and look at the walk I had. Follow that thing that looks like a backbone to the end (runs top to bottom on your screen).
  12. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Mach thats some nice country up there...its been about 30 years since I have been in your area...never did get the chance to fish for Walleye,,ate some though..Tampa bay is overpopulated now..I need to get away to the woods myself..soon as the weather breaks down here ..its still over 90....
  13. machiasmort

Something ever bothers you, you could always pm me...

I've got no quams giving my e-mail! or CP#

Goes for any of (all) my Brother's here, don't care if you like what I write or not! The weight of the world has been on these shoulders many of times. Another time ain't gonna bring 'em down... I'm already smart enough to know that gravity will one day inevitably, (took the same science class Simon did in HS), LOL, (Simon hope you forgive me), lay them to final rest...

Nothing will ever surprise me... Somtimes a good solid talk w/ the woods is the best medicine possible...

After several casts with a live worm and watching my bobber get towed under 3X, I heard a familure voice in my heart, one I ain't heard in a while either...

A voice of Great Authority, Without question, said, Marty,,,, GET THAT WORM, OFF THAT HOOK RIGHT NOW! No, mistaking, I actually cast again. Less than 1/2 way thru my drift my conscience got the best, I promptly did as commanded... The worm was beaten to all blazes and I was certain, it was my best bet...

I made a promise a real long time ago, I'd never use live bait again... I'd seen a frog suffer thru about 6 bass before it finally quit kicking... Instinct for some reason, made me stop by the bait shop...

After delicately removing the worm, I put on a rusty old lure from my Grandpop's box and knocked the fish dead! I knew, after hearing that voice in my heart, something good was going to happen...

11 out of twelve worms deffinately made it through the night... As soon as I painstakingly burried them in the flower garden, It then, became the "voices" problem to look after them. As tired as I was, believe me, I dug a real nice hole!

Please note the above refference, "I'm glad I didn't land another"... Would have took all I had to burry those worms... Would have slept outside near the hole!!!

My point in writting all of this is that, thru times when I've been certain, I've followed the voice which defies logic. I've never been steered wrong! You'll just know when you hear it! Trust me!

Listen, Listen, Listen, My Brother's please Listen once in a while, not necessarily to another man, but to what's in your heart!
  14. machiasmort

About that sucker who caught and released 12 out of 12 worms he caught and paid for.... Well, he was stupid enough to use 6lb test and an ultra lite ugly stick, no net, bare handed, 1 step away from rageing disaster (rapids), one O'clock in the mornning w/nobody arround to help him if he fell in...

Made the Front page of the Buffalo rag, when I cleaned it!

Attached Files:

15. SimpleSimon

16. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Thats the way I like to fish when wading in the Gulf of Mexico or saltwater bays down here in Florida...ultralite equiptment and 6lb test..mkes things more interesting...but for snook and shark you got to rig up the heaver stuff.
  17. machiasmort

Funny vid!
  18. machiasmort

I lost a lot of fish the other night because of it, but had a riot!

A friend was tellin me you can't use wooden crank baits in salt water? Any reason why? The paterns (fish won't hit'em because they look like different bait), they won't dive, rust??? Just wondering?

It's nice up here in some ways, but winter can be brutal!
  19. EnFlaMEd

EnFlaMEd Member

Deer + webber = MASSIVE WIN!!!!
    Kangaroo + webber = win!!!!
  20. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

I used to fish, a lot. Never very good at it. I always said, "If I'm hungry for fish....Long John Silvers is a sure bet."

Sometimes I got lucky!

6 pound Bass - 1997

old pcc 008.jpg

My buddy's been bringing me nice Channel cat, this year. Smoked them on the charcoal'r. good stuff.

I've cooked a lot, over fire....

old pcc 009.jpg

cheated on this one. smoked turkey... on the gas grill.
    old pcc 033.jpg

a couple fishing holes.........
    old pcc 162.jpg

old pcc 161.jpg

I took the shot.....

old pcc 159.jpg

....not bad, for a cheap digi-cam, eh? :grin5: