Jackshaft Shift Kit from SBP

All states have definitions of the types of vehicles that can be operated on the public roadways. If a vehicle doesn't fall within the parameters of one of these definitions, it can't legally be operated on the public roadways. Some states may enforce it more than others but all states have this in their transportation laws.

Now not all state require license for motorized bikes, registration or insurance. This does vary from state to state. To conclude you can be ticketed in any state for operating an improper vehicle on a public roadway if you don't build your bike within the guidelines the state allows. If your state requires an automatic transmission, registration, insurance and a license that is what you must do. Operating an improper vehicle on a public roadway isn't a way to get around the law.

Last edited:
All 50 states allow bicycles to be rode on public streets. My bicycle just happens to have a motor to assist in propulsion. Its a bicycle nothing more. That's my story and i'm sticking to it.

No state defines a bicycle as having a motor on it. You should read the laws. A judge will not care what your story is. All the judge will care about is what is written in the states laws.

Here.... my state calls it a "bicycle with motor attached". Only requirement is for me to have one brake and a headlight at night. That's it.

But all states permit you to ride with an electric motor (think it's a 750w limit, right?)... because federal law supersedes state law.

Article 6 of the U.S. Constitution states:
This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

This should be continued in the legal section. If you want to start a tread there I'll be more than willing to discuss it there. On one note though I've looked up the code of laws in Mississippi and they are one of strictest states on motorized bicycles. Mississippi consider motorized bicycles, mopeds and scooters to be motorcycles.

Hey JimGuy,
It took me quite a bit of trail & error on the first one I installed, if you get into a bind, let me know. I took some good pics that I can share with you.
Barry

This should be continued in the legal section. If you want to start a tread there I'll be more than willing to discuss it there. On one note though I've looked up the code of laws in Mississippi and they are one of strictest states on motorized bicycles. Mississippi consider motorized bicycles, mopeds and scooters to be motorcycles.
False. If you take a look at the annotated code, there is an attorney general's opinion which states since the "bicycle with motor attached" is only mentioned ONCE in all of the Motor Vehicle title, under the Brakes section, it is distinct and separate from a motorcycle.

If it's a bicycle with motor attached, it's primarily a bicycle and NOT a motor vehicle.

Each has their own opinion on what a MAB is legally.

Last edited:
Barry,
Thank you for pulling the conversation back on track, not that I didn't enjoy and find the find the discussion on the legality interesting, for I did. I have received my shift kit and I did get the HD deluxe as suggested by Fabian. Unfortunately, my "hunny do list" has precluded me from starting my install (I did open the box and play with all the parts anyway). i hope to tackle this within the next few weeks.
Thank you for the offer, I will knock on your door if I need the help/advice.

Jim

A setup I'd suggest is this: shiftkit to rear wheel; 34 chainring to 8 speed 11-34 freewheel or cassette. 21 speeds are really 11-13 speeds at best the other 8-10 gears are redundant gears. The setup I suggested gives you 8 individual gears with the same ratio range as a 21 speed.

The best way to use these gears is (1,2) uphill; (3,4,5,6) level ground; (7,8) downhill. Hope you're riding soon.

Back