Shift kit idea

pdxrhett

Local time
6:12 AM
Well, my idea is to saw off the pedals, install a sprocket on the left side of the pedals (that side usually unscrews w/ a 3-piece crank), then you would have, depending on the bike, 5-27 speeds. If I did this with my current bike I would have 27 speeds! :D. I am going to buy another bike eventually and try this idea out. Anyone see any problems with it (in my mind I am picturing the sprocket actually spinning the right way. it will right?)

yup that would work using your bottom bracket to house a jackshaft. Are you trying to ride it on the street? Cuz without pedals you might have some troubles.

yup that would work using your bottom bracket to house a jackshaft. Are you trying to ride it on the street? Cuz without pedals you might have some troubles.

Sorry for double post. I'm tired.

In Portland, at 49cc, nothing is required, by law (I keep letters signed in my pocket). 50cc however you need a moped license. Also, pedals aren't required ever. I love portland

In principle, that appears to be a way to get a "free" jackshaft transfer from left to right side of the bike. I think it would need an extended drive shaft and repositioned clutch, which is a lot of work, or a transfer gear between engine and crank which is not too far off having a separate jackshaft. If I had a machine shop I'd investigate it further.

Back