shift kit question......

L

locoWelder

this makes me wonder about how this kit would do on a uphill challange? 5,or 6% 200lb rider and a 75 lb trailer?

The sell 2 optional sprockets for the kit, it comes with 10t, can get an 11t for speed or 9t for hills. I run the 11t. I am a big guy (200lbs) and I motor up the steepest hills on the Island at 20-25. I do not know the grade, but they are steep! I also carry 20-24 lbs of gear/groveries on my rear rack and bags at times. I am sure the 9t would do even better.

Appropriately geared, as Ed says, and you should have no worries.
To reduce the final drive ratio on mine, I fitted a 6-speed Shimano MegaRange SuperLow rear cluster. (I also had to fit a Shimano Tourney MegaRange derailleur to suit.)
Sick Bike Parts sell a 7-speed MegaRange cluster.

For extra-super-low final drive gearing, SBP also sell a 24T chainring. With the SuperLow cluster, that's a 24T front driving a 34T rear in 1st. Climb anything.

Hi locoWelder

Have you seen my setup?
Fully loaded i have towed 165 lbs behind me up some serious hill climbs.

The shift kit has no problems towing serious weight, when coupled with the appropriate gearing ordered from the SickBikeParts website.

Fabian

can you send me a link to your bike , I planning a huge trip to start off Jan of 2011...12,000 miles plus....no bull!

I am looking at a Trek pure w/ a Honda GX50 and the shift kit?.....

There's a pic of Fabian's bike, complete with a pretty decent trailer, in one of the other shift-kit threads. It's 2am here, so hopefully Fabian will pop up tomorrow and point you in the right direction.
(I'm only up this late tonight for the Canadian Grand Prix. Want to see if Webber can do it again.)

12,000 miles+ ? How many spare engines are you carrying? I wouldn't trust my HT for 1000 miles in one go. Mind you, my HT doesn't compare to your Honda.

Last edited:
Hi locoWelder

What you can't see in the photos are the special ball bearing hinges that allow the lid to close, as standard door hinges have too much slop and move against the direction of the gas strutts, preventing the lid from closing.
Although expensive, ball beaing hinges with no freeplay were the only solution.

Pics reposted for you:

Fabian

Attachments

• Fabian's Bicycle Trailer.JPG
    Fabian's Bicycle Trailer.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 260
  • Fabian's bicycle trailer - Cargo carrying capacity.JPG
    Fabian's bicycle trailer - Cargo carrying capacity.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 202
  • Fabian's Bicycle Trailer - Gas struts attached.JPG
    Fabian's Bicycle Trailer - Gas struts attached.JPG
    695.3 KB · Views: 218
  • Fabian's Bicycle Trailer - Wheel arches.JPG
    Fabian's Bicycle Trailer - Wheel arches.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 208
  • Mt Dandenong Lookout 2009.jpg
    Mt Dandenong Lookout 2009.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
I was wondering whether red Bull deliberately gave Mark Webber an in-house penalty (with a gearbox change) for not letting their poster boy (Sebastian Vettel) win the race in Turkey.

Fabian

Don't want to get too OT, but I think there's more drama to come re Webber/Vettel.
Pleased to see that Webber was signed for another year. Was Vettel? Nothing was mentioned.
Still, that was what cost the race.

Back