Jackshaft Shift Kit Questions for anyone thats allready installed one

In 50,000 kilometers (31,000 miles) of riding i have never snapped a chain in half from exceeding the tensile strength of the chain, be it 8 speed chain which is comparable in tensile strength to 7 speed chain.
I have built bikes that break 7-speed chain by the customer but never broke one myself, how you ride a shifter makes all the difference as some people think they can power shift the things and just flat can't, it's a frigg'n bicycle.

how you ride a shifter makes all the difference as some people think they can power shift the things and just flat can't

I agree.

When power shifting or incorrectly timing your shift on a drive train which is effectively a crash-box, you'll tear out chain side plates under a power-shift, which in turn causes the chain to jamb up in the bottom bracket area or jamb up when feeding into the rear derailleur (if it's made it past the bottom bracket) or to simply snap in half after exiting the last tooth on the cassette.

I may have the bike in 1st fireup condition tomorrow.
I only ran into 1 more issue I didn't notice before. When I turn the cranks, that engine to jackshaft chain that was giving me fits before loosens then tightens with each 1/2 revolution of the engine sprocket.
I am guessing the cheap chinese made sprocket is not perfectly round? It tightens to where I think its good then loosens to about 1/8 of play on top and bottom.
I'm going to assume its normal and maybe it will work its way out (sprocket wear itself in) after the 1st few miles running?

I am guessing the cheap chinese made sprocket is not perfectly round? It tightens to where I think its good then loosens to about 1/8 of play on top and bottom.

The Chinese output shaft sprocket is never machined perfectly round, and this osculating motion causes vibration as the chain snaps from loose to tight.
For this reason a chain tensioner makes a lot of difference in reducing medium frequency vibration.

I'm going to assume its normal and maybe it will work its way out (sprocket wear itself in) after the 1st few miles running?

The sprocket "will never" wear itself in, because the engine output shaft sprocket on my bike is over 6,000 kilometers (3,700 miles) old and it still runs out-of-true.

Its Alive!
Loads of fun to ride too, no problems either except it doesn't seem to have much power witch I assume is normal for a brand new motor. Ill break in the motor then maybe look into lower gearing if it still lacks hill climbing torque.
Thanks all for the help!

1 week update! Read On !
I adjusted the engine 4 times to compensate for the chain stretch, the chain seems to have stretched to its limit the 1st 3 days. been riding it everyday the last 5 days without having to adjust it.
My biggest complaint with this shift kit is the attention it gets from all the people that can hear me shifting gears! It seems people have seen bicycles and gopeds that rev there butt off but no one has seen a motorized bike shifting gears! Its not very loud the way I have the motor setup and I shift early but you can still hear it and it gets alot of attention. I have had people talking to me at lights asking me what it is. Its getting really old , I am a private person and don't like talking to strangers. I may sale it and build an electric bicycle?

Ok I'm editing this post , I probably wont sale the bike, its too much fun, I just got to get used to talking to people I don't know about the bike!

I also went to a motorcycle shop yesterday and with the help of my wife bought a skid lid helmet. The bike goes 33mph with my 375lbs weight and the motor has less then a gallon of fuel through it so far. I'm very happy with it and have not broke anything!

Last edited:
motorbike.jpg

The Chinese output shaft sprocket is never machined perfectly round, and this osculating motion causes vibration as the chain snaps from loose to tight.
For this reason a chain tensioner makes a lot of difference in reducing medium frequency vibration.

The sprocket "will never" wear itself in, because the engine output shaft sprocket on my bike is over 6,000 kilometers (3,700 miles) old and it still runs out-of-true.
It actually did work itself right. I don't know if it was the chain or the sprocket but it was all even after 25 miles, I added a shim to the engine to jackshaft and its the same tension all around! My motor has 0 vibration......

Ok I'm editing this post , I probably wont sale the bike, its too much fun, I just got to get used to talking to people I don't know about the bike!

Once you have had the opportunity to joyfully change gears; be it all 7 or 8 or 9 of them, you'll never be able to go back to anything less than a Shift kit.

I am a private person and don't like talking to strangers.

I have been in the same situation and although it takes a bit of getting used to, you'll come to enjoy the fame (and sometimes adoration of overly enthusiastic people) when zipping around on a motorized bicycle and shift kit.

After a few weeks you'll get used to the fame that goes with being a small town superstar, especially if hauling 10 trailers.
I guarantee that this condition will not happen if riding an electric bicycle.

It actually did work itself right. I don't know if it was the chain or the sprocket but it was all even after 25 miles, I added a shim to the engine to jackshaft and its the same tension all around! My motor has 0 vibration......
What you saw with the chain is usually just the binding you get when you break a link on that fat chain and yes it works itself out with a little oil help.

Now for the fun part of experienced tips, have you found the joy of skipping gears on a shift?
On a 7-speed I only use the even numbered gears.
Start in 2nd, max it and jump to 4th, max it and jump to 6th.
In short treat it like a 3-speed which is what I like best especially as an internal hub with a fat chain to it.

Just let the motor idle jump you 2 sprockets at a time in shifting up or down and see if you don't find just even numbered ones are perfect for being even more awesome.

As for looks and questions and your reclusive feelings you can take this as an opportunity to be a bit more social or just tell everyone you don't know what it is and you just ride it.

You seem very social on-line, maybe just be the way you are here in real life contact?
Ya never know what new good friends you can meet and keep if you do is all and you did well bud.

Back