Shimano Nexus 1st Gear Failure

Scootmeister

Local time
11:57 PM
My Shimano Nexus 3 speed finally failed after 3 years of hard riding. 1st gear no longer works, but 2nd and 3rd are fine. The hub was under water during a hurricane last year, but I don't know if that was a factor. Anyone know what part is likely to be the culprit? I've never worked on these and have no idea how to diagnose the problem. The bike is fine on the road without low gear, but I use it a lot when riding trails, etc. DSCN3116.JPGDSCN3115.JPG

I've been riding for about a week with no first gear and so far 2nd and 3rd are holding up. The upside to this failure is the fact that I now have a neutral which is helpful when you start your engine and it revs beyond engagement of the centrifugal clutch. As soon as I get my other bike up and running I'll pull the wheel and check it out.

I read on these hubs a while back on non motorized bicycles, it's recommended you go no lower than 1.67:1 on the input ratio so that 1st gear doesn't get over torqued going up steep hills. This is why manufacturers generally use a 2:1 input ratio such as a 38:19. I think a 19t cog is the smallest one you can use; therefore you should be at least using a 32t chainring.

Last edited:
Back