ship or fly with bike?

Discussion in 'Travelling, Commuting & Safety' started by ridercam, Jan 28, 2009.

1. ridercam

ridercam New Member

I have a serious bug to take my motor bike on some international adventures.

Does anyone here fly with their bike or do you/ would you ship and pick up. My goal is ride my bike in Australia in two months and maybe Europe in the summer...

2. graucho

graucho Active Member

Good question. Ive thought about shipping my bike out to the ocean park rally to a member, then hopping a plane to catch up with it. Its a bummer sitting here seeing how much fun everyone has. I never thought about having it on the same airplane with me.
  3. MotorMac

MotorMac Member

I dont think airlines would let you fly a bike with an engine and any trace of gas.
  4. ridercam

ridercam New Member

prepped to fly

If it has no fuel and arrives in a bike bag.... then it is a bike. Release the air out of the tires and turn the bars... I think you are good to go.

I have read that many airlines treat bikes as luggage thus the bikecrate or commercially available travel bike bag. Some will charge fees for oversized - but atleast your bike is with you.
  5. ridercam

ridercam New Member

taking your love places

The man/bike love affair can continue in some romantic places or perhaps for your long weekend island getaway. The best part is you could have a beautiful threesome with your significant other too!
  6. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Member

Actually from what I gather I think FAA regs you have to box the bike and from what I read about backpackers and stoves fuel bottles and fuel anything on an airliner are a big no no. Interesting idea though
  7. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Even if the airlines would accept your bike, would they beat the carp out of it?

I'd be worried about that.
  8. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Flying with an outfit? Dunno about that.
    I was thinking about visiting my sister in TX and taking a Greyhound with a Dahon folding bike in a hardcase and a Robin friction drive in a toolbox that fits with a couple of basic tools.
    Just to have some something to putt around with when I got there.
  9. Stoney

Stoney Member

I like that idea Happy.
  10. Happy Valley

Thanks....and Greyhound cargo rates are about the lowest freight costs out there.
  11. ridercam

ridercam New Member

You can send your bike ahead on greyhound. I send my equipment regularly that way clear across the country. Then I fly and meet it there at the station.
  12. Happy Valley

True that.

IIRC, I think there is one guy on this forum who is building a few bikes and he ships them Greyhound Freight. Says it's the cheapest and they don't beat up the package.
  13. ridercam

ridercam New Member

another way to fly

Think this way to go too.

Build a motor travel pack. Try an incapsulated systems that would allow rapid assembly upon a rented bike or buy a cheap one at a big box store.

Ideally, placing a tried & true rapid deployment motor kit in a hard pelican case with a new gas tank... I see there is no problem.
  14. MotorMac

MotorMac Member

I see that as a big problem, theres a lot more to putting a motor on a bike that you can call it "rapid deployment" theres sprockets ,chain. throttles to install plus all the tinkering to get things to fit on a new or rental bike.It would be easier and less aggravating to just ship your bike with Fedex or something.However you will not be allowed to fly with it unless you can prove theres never been any gas in the tank or motor.
  15. ridercam

ridercam New Member

In the nebulous world of legal or allowable where it concerns motorbikes, the concerns of many here seems silly. Where commercial air travel is used, I know for a fact that gas chain saws and other similar things are checked as luggage every day. Gas scooters too. Ever flown Southwest Airlines - watch what comes down their luggage claim belts. Also consider this amazing fact: I and thousands of other have had motorcycles flown with them on the same passenger aircraft. Yeah, you pay a premium but its with you. - Sometimes you even ride to and away from the departing and arriving airport!

Think about the number of times that airlines have ever asked you about your checked luggage. If you are even slightly worried, do curb side check in. Its amazing what a five will do.

Since 9/11, there are many who readily lay down instead just going forward with their plans. If you worry about what the government or other authority says... Maybe you should give up your questionable, nonauthrized or unregulated motorbike as clearly this unacceptable to many in our society or deemed "illegal".

In the world I know and we live, bold thought, initiative and actions reap the most rewards. God help us if we live like sheep and live to serve the shepards.

Be bold and take chances - just like a great morning ride.
  16. Stoney

Stoney Member

How much does it cost to ship (approx. give personal ex.) and what about the packaging. How much is that? Thanks
  17. Happy Valley

Heh, two words: Friction drive.

And about twenty minutes and two wrenches.:cool2: