Stolen Short Lived Hobby....

Discussion in 'Stolen Bicycles & Security' started by IINoxiousII, May 15, 2012.

1. IINoxiousII

IINoxiousII Member

Rockville, MD
    Bike was stolen last night from my storage unit. Black Trek Mountain Bike with 66cc Slantfire Grubee Skyhawk. Centrifugal clutch, boost bottle, SBP shiftkit, dual brake lever, left gripshift shifter..... the whole nine yards. 150+ hours of work down the tube. I'm livid....

Attached Files:

2. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

What a shame....I feel for you, and all those that have had a bike stolen.

3. IINoxiousII

IINoxiousII Member

Thanks Ron. I appreciate the thoughts. Thanks again for your help when I needed it. The only good thing out of this is our insurance will cover most of what was taken..... and now the building management is willing to put a deadbolt on our storage. I think they are afraid of being sued since I had asked over a month ago and nothing had been done. For now I am just trying to dream up a new build for when we are compensated for our losses.
    Kind regards,
    P

4. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

Nothing like locking the gate after the horses get out....(all of the 2.75 HP, no pun intended)

5. IINoxiousII

IINoxiousII Member

Hahaha, good one. I think I need to put a lojack system into my next build. That would be pretty sweet.

6. BAM

BAM Member

hopefully the chain will come off and jam on them and down they go! carma

7. LR Jerry

LR Jerry Well-Known Member

My mother runs a storage facility. Here is whats at her place security code gate, resident manger, camera surveillance. These things really detour thieves.

8. IINoxiousII

IINoxiousII Member

I'm sure whoever it is who took it won't be able to maintain it. Hopefully they will squeeze the clutch lever instead of the brake lever going full speed towards a dump truck. Unfortunately, our storage is across the hall in our apartment complex. Not a single camera in sight.... it was a thief's dream come true. Maybe an unlabeled bright red self destruct button rigged to the gas tank. Instant Karma. lol

9. choppermke

choppermke Member

what kind of insurence was it im worried about mine i live in chicagoland. i called state farm they said i cant get comprehensive without a vin

10. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Would your home owners/renters ins cover it?

11. IINoxiousII

IINoxiousII Member

Good question, I am actually concerned that it may not be covered. The woman I spoke to said it may be considered a vehicle and might not be covered..... I'm currently itemizing all the items piece by piece along with everything else that was taken. Tools, snowboard, etc.... I'll keep you posted on what happens. From what I have been reading and hearing it varies state by state.

12. IINoxiousII

IINoxiousII Member

oh, and the claim is through my renters insurance.

13. choppermke

choppermke Member

thanks for the reply thats what im gana have to check out. at the curent monment i dont have any renters insurence. but that is what the lade from state farm told me to check into. i just seen that people on here have insurence so i fugure i would see if that was what they were using thanks again

14. choppermke

choppermke Member

the lady from state farm said that it should be considerd like a riding lawn mower since we cant register them. so good look and best wishes with the claim

15. IINoxiousII

IINoxiousII Member

thanks for the heads up and wishes! I will let you know what happens.

16. IINoxiousII

IINoxiousII Member

oh, and it was a 48cc. Not sure why I thought I had the 66cc. In MD anything under 50cc is legal and does not need to be registered. I was considered the 66cc when I got it, but didn't want to have to register it.

17. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Yea i'm a witness its 49cc foshoo.

18. IINoxiousII

IINoxiousII Member

Just got a call back. Looks like they will cover anything that does not have anything to do with the engine. They covered the bike just not the engine or any parts that I included in the itemization that are "engine parts" (i.e boost bottle kit, centrifugal clutch kit, SBP shift kit, etc...) :( Something is better than nothing in the larger scheme of things.
    Kind regards,
    P