shortened intake for racer

• Thread starter Deleted member 12676
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12676

To get slightly higher crankcase pressure and to make the reed valve in-line with the intake tract I used a hacksaw to cut off 3/8" of the intake so that its mating surface is perpendicular (at a 90 degree angle) to the direction of flow. The Rock Solid reed valve is restrictive in its cross sectional flow area for high rpm and so to compensate somewhat I wanted to center it in the intake for equal usage of both reed petals. Otherwise it is at an angle and one petal has to do most all the work which would probably add to the restriction. After cutting I planed it using sandpaper and glass and then drilled new mounting holes and tapped new threads. This is for my engine which I will make a copy of for JNMotors to race. I know this isnt really helpful to 99.9% of the readers here but I thought you might find it interesting. Here is a picture of the reed valve mounted to the shortened intake:
shortintake.jpg

I can't wait to hear how fast it runs with the new intake. I bouught a chainsaw reed valve for my China girl but never installed it. I plan to make a housing for it with laminated strips of aluminum.

Back