Shortening Throttle Cable

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by skrew37, Apr 29, 2011.

1. skrew37

skrew37 Member

I've searched around here for an answer, can't find one, so I'm posting this. I need to shorten my throttle cable, but I want to do it from the throttle end, not the carb. end. My question is this: Can I cut off the barrel, drill it out with success, trim the cable to length, and solder the barrel back on? Or is it easier to make a simple mold (like making sinkers) and make my own end by melting solder, filling the mold, then grinding and shaping to fit? Any ideas?

2. DuctTapedGoat

DuctTapedGoat Member

I was reading a thread on the other forum about just using silver solder and a mold to make a new barrel, they claimed it held up very well.

3. skrew37

skrew37 Member

That's what I'm gonna try. I just bought some more (and better) solder. I tested the concept with a piece of wire and the mold made of wood. I drilled a 13/64" hole, cut a slot with the dremel and used a random piece of 18GA wire as the guinea pig cable. It worked beautifully. I can't wait to finish this build so I can post pics. I think the only thing original on this bike is the frame. Even the headlight was built from scratch and looks awesome. I'm pretty proud of it. I hope it runs....

4. retromike3

retromike3 Member

throttle cable

Its easier to shorten the carb side of the cable and there is a video on how to do it. I did it myself with a butane torch and bit of silver solder. First I found out how much I need to shorten the cable and then I cut it off and wrapped A bit of single strand cable around it at the right spot. I then brazed the silver on to the point were it needed it and then used a Dermil tool to shape it so it would fit in the carburetor assembly. Its worked grate ever since.

P.S. after I cut the cable I took it out and greased the cable while I had a chance.

mike

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  5. DuctTapedGoat

DuctTapedGoat Member

You should post a link to the video retro!

Greasing the cable is pretty necessary. If I could find a solid enough way of keeping it sealed, I'd love to do a graphite powder packing.

6. skrew37

skrew37 Member

I've heard it might be easier, but I hate to go through all the trouble of messing with the carb. Now I'm not sure how I want to go about this... I'd like to see the video on it though. What I've done so far is route the cable in such a way that there's minimal slack. It works for now until I'm ready to take on this task. Oh yeah, other than that, I think I might be ready to post some pics... where would be the best place to post them?

7. retromike3

retromike3 Member

8. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

Make sure you use silver solder and acid flux or the solder won't stick.

9. skrew37

skrew37 Member

I finally shortened my throttle cable. It worked. I didn't use the "wire wrap, solder and cut" method though. After cutting the black cable housing and marking where I wanted to solder the new end, I simply de-soldered the old end, slid it up the cable to where I marked the new length with a sharpie, and soldered it in to place. I cut the extra cable off and grinded it to shape with a dremel. Fits, holds, and looks perfect. Thanks for everyone's help!