Should this deputy be charged ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by arkives1, Feb 25, 2010.

1. arkives1

arkives1 Member

Should this deputy and the officers involved be disciplined for their actions>
    Personally, I think the investigating officers, the supervising officer, and the watch commander all need straightening out. I know of people who have been charged with DUI for being in the car with out even having the key in igniton. Anyway, here is the news story. The DA says charges will be filed against the deputy.

Sheriff's deputy charged with second DUI
    By Bruce Vielmetti of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Feb. 24, 2010 |(50) Comments

A Milwaukee County sheriff's deputy has been charged with second-offense drunken driving after he was found unresponsive behind the wheel of a van parked in West Allis earlier this month.

Christopher Paul Conell, 36, faces up to six months in jail and fine of up to $1,100 if convicted. Conell, who is suspended from his job, was convicted of a 2008 drunken driving episode in which he had flashed his deputy's badge and asked Hales Corners police to let him go.

According to the complaint issued Wednesday:

A resident called West Allis police about 2:45 a.m. Feb. 5 to report that an unfamiliar van had been idling in the 2000 block of S. 75th St. for at least 45 minutes.

An officer responded and found Conell slumped forward in the driver's seat, apparently asleep. The engine was running and the headlights were on. He failed to wake after the officer opened the door, shook his arm and yelled "Police." Conell eventually came to but spoke in extremely slurred manner and said he didn't know where he was, but eventually said he was coming from the Painted Parrot, a West Allis tavern.

Officers also noted Conell had glassy eyes, a strong odor of alcohol on his breath and vomit in his van.

But a supervisor who responded to the scene, Sgt. Clint Corwin, did not arrest Conell at the time because, according to the complaint, police could not immediately reach the initial tipster to find out if he had seen Conell's van moving, the van was legally parked, and Conell was not touching the brake pedal or the gear shift. The complaint says Conell was taken to the West Allis police station but does not say he was ever given a field sobriety or a breath test.

Police later that day did find the witness, who said the van was not running when he first noticed it about 1 a.m. Three days after that, police also spoke with a man who had been at the Painted Parrot with Conell, who told investigators he saw Conell consume three or four glasses of beer before leaving the tavern alone about 12:15 a.m. Feb.5.

West Allis Police Chief Michael Jungbluth said this month that officers probably should have arrested Conell.

2. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

i like how they look out for their own.anybody else would have gotten a dui then and there.

i guess this is one of those rare cases when the officers dont use that"just doing my job"routine.

that is so not cool!how many dui`s has this guy given!and then he gets away with it?what an abuse of power!

these guys look out for each other cause theyve all got something on each other.

their all ****ing guilty of breaking the laws!

3. quay1962

quay1962 Guest

Well...It just goes to show you how messed up society really is...It's not just happening in the police departments but in everything and everywhere...Congress on down if ya ask all boils down to a persons character and these cops have least it made it into the paper so the public knows, knowledge is power in everything a person faces whether decietful or not. Hope the towns upcry will be heard and they are punished like anyone else would be...

One of Oregons governors, I think Kitzauber was busted for DUI... people in Oregon were in an up roar over it...he didn't go to jail but was fined and made to get a driver... he was again busted in Hawaii if I am not mistaken? Maybe if he was forced to do jail time he wouldn't reoffend? Dunno?
  4. fasteddy

fasteddy Member

I said this before but I was married to a cop from Iowa. She had stories that would make you wonder just who was the crook and who wasn't.

Her first husband drank and demolished 6 vehicles in, at fault, accidents. He was always taken home and not charged.