Should we change forum software?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Tom, Apr 7, 2007.

?

Should we change forum software?

1. Yes - phpBB needs to be replaced

100.0%
  2. No - phpBB is just fine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Tom

Tom Active Member

Our forum currently uses the free phpBB software. Plenty of bugs and not perfect. I am considering switching the board over to Vbulletin. I have heard nothing but great reviews from other webmasters, and have used forums with this software before, and I can confidently say that its a much better software than ours.

The only set back is that its $180, and there might be a few glitches in importing everything over there.

Do you guys think its worth it?

2. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Can you paste a few examples of the Alternative forums?

I don't want to mess up the best MB forum I've found, but if something works easier AND looks better, might as well take a look.

3. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

can this board (phpBB) remain active during a change over to Vbulletin?

can you describe what importing glitches we might have?

Is the $180 a one time fee? yearly?

not another name change.... :( ?

I have no idea what you (Tom) have to do to maintain this board to keep it running smoothly. (btw.... it's much faster today...thanks!)
    the "bugs" you speak of, are they recurring? or when you fix one, it's fixed...but something else gets "buggy"?
    Does Vbulletin have more features for the members? I guess I need to see Vbull in action.

4. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

5. azbill

azbill Active Member

I guess you have to weigh the benefits with the price
    and also probs with current software with the price
    and after carefull thought, go with your gut
    (after all...it was your gut that told you to start this forum)
    :D :D

6. Tom

Tom Active Member

I think I am going to change the software. 180 one time fee. Totally worth it. There will not be a name change, the site will just look a little different. You will all still have all your posts, accounts, avatars, etc. There shouldnt be more than a few minutes of downtime.

7. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

sweet! :D

8. azbill

azbill Active Member

can you alert us when its gonna happen?
    I leave a page open on this usually 24/7
    check it whenever I get a chance ,just dont want to be on when it changes, to lessen any probs

9. bamabikeguy

10. Tom

Tom Active Member

I have ubuntu on my computer as well as windows. It is a much cleaner operating system, however, there are a bunch of programs you can't run on ubuntu. The compatability of linux sucks.

11. JFleck

JFleck Guest

Tom,

If you have a paypal account just make a post
    with the info and people can send $1 or $5 or
    whatever and I'm sure you would get enough
    to cover the software upgrade. . .

12. Tom

Tom Active Member

I am not too worried about the dough. I make enough from my other sites to basically cover this one. The ads from this site bring in about $1-$2 per day, so I everything pretty much pays for itself.

13. Tom

Tom Active Member

Seems only myself and one other people think we should change the software. I think I really want to do it now as the forum is really growing. Does anyone have compelling reasons why we shouldn't do it?

14. bamabikeguy

I trust the Fearless Leader.....I can see how moderation should be easier, it doesn't take too long to learn new buttons, bells and whistles.

I hope the photo gallery feature improves, that's for sure.

And if you keep the domain name the same.....

Go for it Tom :cool:

15. I'm a mod on another forum which has the Vbulletin software and it seems alright. The controls are easy to use and I think Vbulletin does have some nice options for graphics/interface. I however haven't experienced any issues on this forum/ or with phpbb so no complaints here. Bama, I've tried ubuntu and its not bad, however I use PClinuxOS for my personal computer. It is of course free and will run off a cd so you might want to test it out. Its the friendliest desktop appropriate Linux I've tried yet.

16. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

The switch would be fantastic in my opinion. I beleive Chopperbicycle.net is powered be that software and I really like the format. Much easier to navigate. Anyone else that visits that site feel the same way?

just my $.02

17. bamabikeguy

I'd love to click on a Vbulletin forum link or two.

I don't do much fancy stuff, so I " just gotta poke around" and see if my $4 reading glasses will cope.

18. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

19. Tom

Tom Active Member

Hmm... seems even... I just need the time to do the switch