"SickBelly"? HardBox 4stroke Shift Kit

Local time
4:13 AM
I'm loving the shift kit version of my HardBox transmission. It's faster than I need and still has low enough gearing for Seattle hills. I still need to clean up the outboard bearing carrier, visually, but it's so fun to ride that it's hard to take the time to take it apart.
Universal motormounts and jackshaft bearing carriers are in the works!
Thanks for looking, I hope you like it!

Attachments

• 000_0010-9.jpg
    000_0010-9.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 5,503
  • 000_0013-9.jpg
    000_0013-9.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 1,995
  • 000_0014-9.jpg
    000_0014-9.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 2,940
  • 000_0015-9.jpg
    000_0015-9.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 1,883
  • 000_0020.jpg
    000_0020.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 2,024
I'm loving the shift kit version of my HardBox transmission.
in what US States is shifting on a motorized bicycle legal?

i have read most of the states laws and none of them that i can find allow gear changing
not to pick on your kit cause sick bike parts shifter kit would fall into the same catergory and the scooterguy's builds too

are you counting on getting past the laws selling your shifter as a kit?
or some statement about off road use only?

what is the law regarding gear shifting in your state?

In WA (where we are located) mb's are not legal unless liscensed under the RCW codes governing Motor Driven Cycles. Lighting is specified in detail for the speed limit classes you wish to fall under. <20mph, <35mph and >35 are the speed classes and the faster you want to go the more light you are required to have. No mention of gears is present in the RCW's.

All the police (State and city alike) that I've questioned are giving me the same answer in consideration of legality. If it's < 50cc and it has pedals it's a bicycle. Still no mention of gears. We have people in Seattle riding mopeds around w/o plates/tabs.

I personally encourage people to ride responsibly, obey bicycle traffic laws, and wear/use proper safety equipment. My feeling is that if we behave as the best bicyclists do that there will be no real issues. The police in Seattle hardly even notice us.

FireBelly Cycles offers mb products for the end user to install at their discretion and risk! It is, as always, up to the individual to know their rights and responsibilities concerning the laws of their municipalities.

Furthermore I do not know of any obligation to sidestep or "get past" any laws concerning mb's other than to let people know that as final assembler of an mb using our components they assume all risk and responsibility.

in what US States is shifting on a motorized bicycle legal?

i have read most of the states laws and none of them that i can find allow gear changing
not to pick on your kit cause sick bike parts shifter kit would fall into the same catergory and the scooterguy's builds too
you answered for WA which i am not familiar with

how about all the other States?

multiple gear shifting is not legal in CA from what i have read of the motorized bicycle laws
the same goes for most of the US

I think that I answered your question. I'm unaware of being obligated to know the laws of each and every state and if I become aware that FireBelly Cycles is in violation of any laws of any state we will cease to commit any further violations.

Also, please understand I'm not trying to be difficult or rude, I just don't really know what your objective is. If your concerned w/ the mb laws of any state, look them up! I feel I've spent enough of my time concerning mb laws.

Last edited:
I think that I answered your question. I'm unaware of being obligated to know the laws of each and every state and if I become aware that FireBelly Cycles is in violation of any laws of any state we will cease to commit any further violations.
California motorized bicycle laws as others here have defined them

M2 endorsement on license
moped license plate
ride in bike lane OK
no insurance
must wear a DOT helmet
less than 30mph on level ground
Maximum of a 2-speed automatic transmission that is incapable of being manually shifted,
capable of Human Propulsion using Pedals
less than 2 brake horsepower
2 or 3 wheels.

California motorized bicycle laws as others here have defined them

M2 endorsement on license
moped license plate
ride in bike lane OK
no insurance
must wear a DOT helmet
less than 30mph on level ground
Maximum of a 2-speed automatic transmission that is incapable of being manually shifted,
capable of Human Propulsion using Pedals
less than 2 brake horsepower
2 or 3 wheels.

"maximum of 2-speed" - that's one I have not heard or seen documented. Where did you get that information? As far as I know, A CVT would be legal and it has an infinite number of speeds.

"automatic transmission that is incapable of being manually shifted" - that one I know about

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh well, if we followed every law we would still be speaking with a British accent and paying hugh taxes on our tea.

Back