Silly problem

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by mike93082, Feb 25, 2010.

1. mike93082

mike93082 New Member

I am new at this and got a Grubee 66cc kit. I was doing the install to a Huffy Cranbrook but the wheel bearing in the back tire was discovered to be bad before I even got to ride it and I didnt really like the feel of the bike either.

I want a mountain bike but everywhere I check the v in the frame is not big enough. The engine is a slant head and the spark plug will touch the top bar or the carb gets in the way. I have tried thrift shops but they have nothing.

Can someone recommend a bike or tell me what type of bike they are using?

2. Crobo

Crobo New Member

i just put a flying horse 66cc on my huffy mountain bike. the spark plug and cover clear by a few mm. so much so that to get teh cover on and off i need to loosen the motor mounts to remove the cover and just the plug. its a bit annoying but i like the feel of the bike.
  3. MikeJ

MikeJ Member

You are right, thrift stores and Goodwill (a respectable store) has never had what I wanted to place an engine in. I found that pawn shops *might* have something. I ended up calling around to bike shops that handled recycled bikes. Get familiar with Craig's List for your area. Home garage bike recyclers do exist for a little spending money.

I have seen Haro V3, Mtn Tek Extreme, Specialized Rockhopper, and Schwinn all take engines large and small. Just keep looking in out-of-the-way places. Buy replacement parts from a bike store. Take the engine with you when shopping and test fit it into multiple frames. You will find something; everyone else has.

4. Crobo

Crobo New Member

i can just see it now, carrying around a 20+lb motor.

excuse me sir what is that?

a motor*grin*

but fitting a bike to a motor is def an easier way to go that the other way around and in the end will make for an easier install
  5. AussieSteve

AussieSteve Active Member

Carrying the engine is over the top. I carried a piece of string with two knots in it. Worked for me.

With a shift kit fitted and 410mm between bottom bracket and top tube, measured up the seat tube, I have 10mm vertical clearance with the SBP low-profile air-filter and more with the standard one.

I found nothing decent second-hand, so sucked it in and bought a new bike with a decent frame and wheels. Only had 18-speed gears, but that's ideal for a shift kit, I've discovered. Had to remove the front derailleur, so now it's a 6-speed moped.

... Steve
  6. mike93082

mike93082 New Member

:grin5:Well I took the advice and searched craigslist and found near me a Schwinn Sidewinder 2.6fs bike witha nice comfy seat for only 75.00. The engine and carb will fit without the air cleaned but I plan on ordering a offset intake and also a front frame adapter so I do not have to drill into the bike.

Attached Files:

7. hellhammer

hellhammer Member

I had one of those Schwinn's! This is what I did to mine...

8. happycheapskate

happycheapskate Active Member

That fork scares me.
  9. hellhammer

hellhammer Member

It was welded where the two forks met, very stable...I still have the fork, but the bike is loooong gone....