Chain Tensioner Simple chain tensioner fix

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by Ollie, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Ollie

Ollie Member

Hello all, I have a bodge-job that some people may find useful. I struggled recently with my chain tensioner; it wouldn't clamp to the frame securely enough and kept heading towards the spokes. My wife suggested extending the tensioner until it met with the seatstay so that it would stay in place. A neighbour was throwing out an old ceiling fan so I cut up one of the wooden blades, drilled a couple of holes in it and bolted it on. Since then it's done over 20 miles with zero problems. I'd like to replace the wood with aluminium if I can get my hands on any. Here's what it looks like:

Picture 1.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013

2. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Good idea. There are a lot of spray paints in metallic colors that may make your fan blade look like it belongs on a motorbike.
  3. Ollie

Ollie Member

That's why I married an engineer! I prefer the home-made look, I want my bike to look as cheap and unsafe as possible to deter thieves :)
  4. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Yep. That's a good fix. Nice job.
  5. Leroybrown420

Leroybrown420 Member

It's only missing a 40 oz beverage holder. 40.jpg
  6. Leroybrown420

Leroybrown420 Member

My next gas tank. It can double as Molotov cocktail holder. Wolverines!

7. Leroybrown420

Leroybrown420 Member

One last thought on your fix. The rear brake, since it no longer fits (optional part) and you have a freewheel rear hub. Did you keep the other half of the fan blade to stick in the spokes to stop?
  8. Gear_Head_717

Gear_Head_717 New Member

Hey I recently had the same problem and my solution was similar to yours. I kept the chain tensioner wheel in the same place but put truck bed sealer on the clamps so they would fit tighter and have no vibrations. I also found a pice of steal in my garage and cut it down to size, drilled two holes for a clamp to fit on that i would put on the frame and another to go through the wheel bolt to prevent extra drilling. Took me a while to make and fabricate the parts but id say its a clean job for a 15 year old. CAM01094.jpg CAM01095.jpg CAM01096.jpg
  9. Ollie

Ollie Member

Nice one, I like that your version doesn't get in the way of the rear brake mount.
  10. rawly old

rawly old Member

you're a bad man, Leroy Brown
  11. Gear_Head_717

Gear_Head_717 New Member

Yeah, you could probably make it out of wood too but i dont know how long that would last. Its a lot better than spending 70 dollars for a spring chain tensioner.