Chain Tensioner Simple chain tensioner fix

Ollie

Local time
12:45 AM
Hello all, I have a bodge-job that some people may find useful. I struggled recently with my chain tensioner; it wouldn't clamp to the frame securely enough and kept heading towards the spokes. My wife suggested extending the tensioner until it met with the seatstay so that it would stay in place. A neighbour was throwing out an old ceiling fan so I cut up one of the wooden blades, drilled a couple of holes in it and bolted it on. Since then it's done over 20 miles with zero problems. I'd like to replace the wood with aluminium if I can get my hands on any. Here's what it looks like:

Picture 1.jpg

Last edited:
Good idea. There are a lot of spray paints in metallic colors that may make your fan blade look like it belongs on a motorbike.

That's why I married an engineer! I prefer the home-made look, I want my bike to look as cheap and unsafe as possible to deter thieves :)

One last thought on your fix. The rear brake, since it no longer fits (optional part) and you have a freewheel rear hub. Did you keep the other half of the fan blade to stick in the spokes to stop?

Hey I recently had the same problem and my solution was similar to yours. I kept the chain tensioner wheel in the same place but put truck bed sealer on the clamps so they would fit tighter and have no vibrations. I also found a pice of steal in my garage and cut it down to size, drilled two holes for a clamp to fit on that i would put on the frame and another to go through the wheel bolt to prevent extra drilling. Took me a while to make and fabricate the parts but id say its a clean job for a 15 year old.CAM01094.jpgCAM01095.jpgCAM01096.jpg

Back