Site Downtime Sunday (3/14)

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by Tom, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Tom

Tom Active Member

Some of you may have noticed the "403 Forbidden" message all afternoon Sunday. No, you weren't banned - I was getting the message too.

Apparently, my host decided that we were getting too much traffic and decided to move us to a different server - without giving me a heads up. While the site was being transferred, I had no access to anything, and everybody who tried to visit the site got the same error message.

Everything has been restored and should be back to normal. I'm going to have a little chat with my host to make sure that this doesn't happen again.

2. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Tom, oddly enough I was getting the Forbidden message up until 6pm this evening. This is the first I've been able to get onto the site since Saturday night.

3. AussieSteve

AussieSteve Active Member

Same here - I couldn't access the site until about 10 minutes ago.

Kilroy, are you sure that this is the only planet with beer?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  4. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

*Hic* As far as I know...

I'm not as think as you drunk I am...

5. Luka

Luka Member

Same here.

6. AussieSteve

There go my dreams of space travel - I won't go anywhere that I can't get a beer. *hic*

7. Tom

Tom Active Member

Sorry guys, site went down again for another 24 hours right after I posted that.

Things should be sorted out now. It's been a long 24 hours.

8. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Yeah - I was in this thread yesterday, clicked to return the forum contents page and got that 403 error page again.

9. AussieSteve

Thanks, Tom.
    These things happen.

10. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

I just love the way internet hosts treat clients these days. Really, really lousy. How hard can it be to notify? Hopefully you gained some speed from the deal, the other CURSE of lousy hosts.

11. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Say......you're right....it is running faster.

12. Hajuu

Hajuu Member

It's not the hosts fault, it sounds like they were actually doing the right thing by their client (this site) by giving them some room to move :)

The problem comes with if the server has a different static IP address. These changes can take *upto* several days to propagate around the world. The site will always be up, but not accessible via the domain until it propagates to your DNS servers.

End rant! :eek:

13. augidog

augidog Banned

"think like a customer"

agreed: if they're aware Tom has so much traffic, then they could have been aware that he would lose a lot of (new) traffic during the migration...a "please stand by" page would have made a huge difference imo.

14. Tom

Tom Active Member

Seriously guys. I can't even tell you how many people I reamed out because of how poorly they handled this issue.

No advanced warning.

Slow as all **** to respond to my support requests (24 hours in some cases) especially considering the severity of the situation.

No access to ANYTHING that was on my server previously.

No control over the default error page.

Anyway, I discovered the problem. I am using one hosting account for all the websites that I own. I have another high traffic site that is 100% custom coded by myself. I did a bunch of updates on it over the weekend, however there were some programming glitches that cause the CPU to be used a bit more than usual. My host then suspended my account many times for this.

To correct the situation, I literally moved that other site off of this host entirely. I got it to the other host (who was also upset at me for using so much CPU time, but they handled it MUCH better), and fixed the glitches. After many calls to the lousy support department with my current host, I finally convinced them that I fixed the situation and they took their sweet time to press one button and un-suspend my hosting account to get everything back online.

Anyway, its been a VERY hectic past few days. Lots of long frantic hours in front of the computer screen and late nights. However, everything should be sorted out for good now.

Just gotta wrap a few more things and I can start planning my next build!!!!

15. BAM

BAM Member

just focus f##k off cause ur stupid FOCUS! not you tom but some people have it coming my girl told me that one today though it was funny have a nice ride

16. Hajuu

Hajuu Member

haha, Like I say, when transferring a domain to a different ip, it is IMPOSSIBLE by the nature of the internet to even put up a 'please stand by' page linking to that domain, and any attempt to do so using an intermediary server would result in extended downtime.

I agree that it sucks, but hey, if you think you can make a better internet, i'm a developer and im all ears.

haha, have a good one!
    Mikey.