Skyhawk GT2 almost done

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by SOMF, Oct 7, 2014.

1. SOMF

SOMF New Member

Well it has been a lot of trial and error but my Skyhawk GT2 is almost complete. Still waiting on turn signal-brake light-license plate bracket so I can complete the wiring and I have new tires coming. Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

2. SOMF

SOMF New Member

By the way it has a 41 tooth sprocket and hitting 32 mph easy and it's still on break in oil mix (3rd tank)

3. Zen builder

Zen builder Member

Looks great. What is the clutch cover/spring tensioner your using? Also, you gotta love the springer. Using the standard rear brake set up?

4. SOMF

SOMF New Member

I bought it from Motorized Bikes dot com. It is a great improvement over the clam shell type. I did end up using a heavier spring but man did it smooth out the ride.

Zen builder likes this.
  5. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

Wow! You did it right! Congrats!

Timbone

6. steveanson

steveanson New Member

That is a very nice bike, and I bet it's also a comfortable ride. Where did you get your cool rear rack. I've been looking for one shaped like yours...Steve

7. steveanson

steveanson New Member

8. Pottus

Pottus New Member

I really like the look of this build but my faith is not with these engines at all. I hope you get some good use of this engine but don't expect it to last very long what ends up happening is the bearings will wear out causing the flywheel to wobble which will ruin your lower needle bearing. I learned this after only 3 months of running Grubee Skyhawks are junk if your going to put in the effort to build a motorized bike get a 4-stroke Honda with a EZQmatic transmission it costs a lot more but is much more suitable in the long term and much more reliable. Make sure to also change those acorn nuts with some proper nuts!

9. SOMF

SOMF New Member

Stevenson, I bought the rack at a local bike shop. It is a name brand and has a set of saddle bags that clip on. I will check tonight for the brand name. Pottus, did you have one of the CDI ignitions that have an advance curve like the Jaguar? I am hearing that motors will last considerably longer with just this mod alone. I guess time will tell. I was looking at trying to do a 4 stroke build but haven't seen any I like the looks of, I know performance and life span is more important but I just cant get by the looks of the 4 stroke builds I have seen. I am sure there are some out there and of course it is strictly a matter of taste so no offense to anyone who has gone that route.

10. SOMF

SOMF New Member

20141021_172359.jpg View attachment 54585 Here is a pic with the saddlebags on the rack. I have also put on new tires, a 12v battery, headlight, mirrors and a combo tail light turn signal license plate bracket.

11. Pottus

Pottus New Member

No I didn't have the CDI upgrade but it may have helped there is some other solutions as well.
    http://juicemotoparts.com/products/jmp-total-rebuild-kit.html - Upgrade bearings and gaskets the stock bearings
    http://shop.jakebike.com/- Lots of performance parts
    The amount your looking at spending your going to be better off just getting a 4-stroke even though I know you said you don't like the look I really don't think pouring money into a China engine is worth it.

Here is my build.
    [​IMG]

12. SOMF

SOMF New Member

Pottus, Very nice! I really like the idea of using a Honda motor over the "Chinese knock offs". How many miles/hours do you have on it so far and any issues with the drive train? I would imagine the motor will go for years with just the normal service.

13. Pottus

Pottus New Member

It's hard to tell exactly but probably 500+ km so far the drive is great it uses a go-kart clutch however it's not that great on off road hills. Another plus is fuel consumption is very low compared to the Chinese 2-strokes and you don't get any smoke the exhaust is very clean. One thing is I really wish the kit came with the original exhaust instead I had to drill out the mounting holes and tap to a 5/16 bolt the stock size is insufficient with mounting the aftermarket exhaust pipe I would have preferred to just have the original exhaust.