Engine Trouble Skyhawk GT5A 66cc extreme bogging

P3_Takuto

Local time
7:30 AM
Very recently my Skyhawk 66cc started wanting to bog with any throttle applied other than idle, even at idle (which sounds terrible) any throttle application bogs and will cut the engine , it has an NT Speed Gen 1 carb which has been great up till now, and a 40mm boost bottle. I've tried all sorts of methods to fix this myself, removing the boost bottle, tuning the air/fuel screw along with adjusting slide needle clip and readjusting the float bowl, I've got no where and anything I try shows no signs of improvement I've sometimes been able to get a high rev out of it but there is absolutely no power to it and bogs right back down, I've done a plug chop and it comes out wet and sometimes dry but too light at some points. I'm not sure weather to think it's too rich or too lean now, haven't been able to get out of idle much and when I do it is awful. If anyone has any suggestions please help, I've been at this for days!

It's a good engine so I suspect either an air leak between the carb and engine, or you have a pool of gas in the crankcase.
Just pull your plug out, turn the gas off, then pedal it up the street and back with the clutch engaged to blow it all out.
Thats one of the first things we check for repairs.

if it smokes way too much, then fuel in motor is the problem - keep it running till it clears itself out, and remember next time to turn off petcock when motor isn't running

Just finished and no changes after trying it, w.o.t kicks a little but quits just as quickly.

check your choke first of all to eliminate the easiest problem it could be

also see if air filter is restricting air flow. disassemble & clean your carb. I use clean gas in a spray bottle, but carb cleaner is better

make sure the path from the carb to the combustion chamber has no air leaks

electrical problems could maybe cause something like this if there's a connection that partially disconnects under greater wind & vibration, or a loose piece of something grounds out your CDI intermittently when you try to rev the motor

another thing to remind yourself to check even though it's obvious: make sure fuel is present, mixed right & able to flow into the carb. running out of gas when you're convinced you shouldn't have run out yet, could temporarily cause this problem as well. it's happened to me lol

did you check the vent in the gas cap? or check the flow by taking out bowl drain and turning gas on?

Another thing you might check is the muffler. Depending upon how many miles are on it, some of these little two strokes tend to plug up the muffler after awhile. - It has happened to two of my friends. - Just remove the muffler and try blowing through it. If it's clogged - you'll know it. If it is - try burning it out with a propane torch.
I think the problem occurs more often if you use synthetic oil- since it has a higher flash-point than non-synthetic, so tends to build up rather than coming out as smoke.

Back