skyhawk in frame tank racer build

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by mikemarley, May 14, 2015.

1. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

Hi everyone, ive had this baby for about half a year now and finally decided to make a build thread for it. It was a tough job building a bicycle from scratch as it gives you many choices to pick from. As If the frame wasnt crazy enough, i went ahead and put mountain biking rated forks on the front with a disc brake, and had a hayday with fitting disc brakes on the rear, but i succeded with thousanths of an inch to spare. i shoved a racing 2 stroke motor in it with porting, high compression, a mikuni carb, and a racing exhaust. Ive invested some serious bread in this build because its my hobby and my toys bring me joy. I love to talk about my bike and could all day, as ive modified and replaced every part on the bike, even in the motor. Please ask questions, ill be posting pictures as i find them

Attached Files:

2. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

further engine mods

So in case youre wondering why im modifying the motor further, its because i had the bottom needle bearing on my balanced crank explode on me going 50.
    it was not fun as it locked the motor and shredded pretty much everything but my main bearings, which is suprising since i use open bearings. Im in the process of putting a german needle bearing in the bottom of the crank, since i already have an italian upper needle bearing.
    its a hard size to find anywhere, and you need a machinist for the crank. Im also going to be getting electrosil lining on the cylinder as its ported perfect and only has 1 gouge, the company said its salvageable. Its a little pricy but i plan on racing this coming year at so cal in california so its worth it.

Attached Files:

3. 2old2learn

2old2learn Member

Its great to have a passion and these are much cheaper than drugs or golf. They allow our little boy within us to come out and play.

Wayne

4. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

That and between work, riding and maintaining the bike, theres no time because the mrs will give you an earful otherwise haha, i know mine does

5. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

Heck with all the money ive spent on this baby it is my drug, im addicted to riding 2 strokes now haha

6. 2old2learn

2old2learn Member

Don't put off to tomorrow, what you can enjoy today for we live in the now. Tomorrow may never come for some of us, and yesterday is gone forever for all of us. We live between the eternities.

7. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

I try, thats why ive got carpe diem on my back.

8. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

That's some ugly damage to your motor.

How much does the electrosil lining cost?

Are you racing on Sat May 30th at Willow Springs? :)

9. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

Yea i ate a bearing cage.

Its pretty pricy the guy quoted me at 310 for just the cylinder

I doubt it, i cant get ahold of a new ported cylinder, and my balanced crank is being reworked atm, im having issues finding the correct bottom needle size

10. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

Throw a stock motor on to race in the Beginner class, which has lots of entries for very fun racing.

Where did you get your balanced crank from?

We may not be racing at Willow again for a while.
    Where are you located?
    I have 3 bottom needle bearings.

11. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

I was thinking about that, i have a pk80 laying around

I got it from arrow motorized bikes

Im in peoria il, would you happen to know the dimensions of that bearing?
    Ive got a stock one to replace it from my stock crank, but i want to put a german needle bearing in it.

12. butre

butre Well-Known Member

if you're spending that kind of money talk to Bert Rod on Facebook, he does cylinders with iron sleeves that you can use much nicer rings and pistons in. then once you wreck your top end in 3000 miles you can just hone the cylinder and put new rings in.

just don't use the Chinese bearings, they tend to grenade at half the speed Bert's engines are capable of.

13. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

So i got ahold of bert, im trying to convince him to sell m one now. I hope he sells me it, idc sleeved or billet theyre both an improvement.
    yea i use japanese open main bearings, and german or italian needle bearings.
    got her running, just adjusting clutch now.

Attached Files:

14. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

So ive been busy.lol ive gotten a cylinder from bert and am going to be getting a crank soon, now im just modding away

Attached Files:

15. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

Interesting clutch plate, where did you get that?
    or did you make it?

Cool regardless, nice bike ;-}

16. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

Thanks kc, i got the idea from brake rotors as the use about the same method to stop cars as our clutch, i just put those in for more grip and to vent gases as the pad burns. Pretty soon im going to try out freds semi metallic clutch pads as i believe those would work even better

17. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

But yea i drilled them, then dremeled the hole for smoothness

18. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

Some beauty shots as i cruised around, even set a new best top speed!!

Attached Files:

19. mikemarley

mikemarley Member

Got a cool pic of my bike sitting next to my buddys bike i helped him build

Attached Files:

20. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

It's nice to have someone to ride with, good for you Mike, you guys did well.