slide needle missing notches

StreetLethal

Local time
12:34 AM
I recently removed a needle from a friend's speed carb and found his needle's e-clip has ground smooth the notches.

Attachments

• tmp_31438-20161120_165241-2142250505.jpg
    tmp_31438-20161120_165241-2142250505.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 145
one might suggest getting smaller clip and making new notches, but carbs are cheap and there must be something else wrong to cause that

I recently removed a needle from a friend's speed carb and found his needle's e-clip has ground smooth the notches.
I have replacement needles for speed carbs in Orange county.
The problem is that the e clip is too loose and steel so when it
rotates it wears out the softer brass needle.

That's what I was thinking either the small e-clip became loose or stretched out. But I think it was because the other clip that holds needle down with spring rotated slightly up above slide.

I believe it's definitely caused by engine vibration. My buddy doesn't have his motor mounts just metal to metal. He uses a combination of leather belts and rubber from a thick inner tube. I've told him that is the cause of his vibration he feels while riding his motorbike.

technically, no. the cause is the unbalanced crank.
a strong connection of the cases to the bike frame lets the frame absorb the vibration. some of it anyway. maybe enough to keep from driving you crazy.
me, I'm a perfectionist. I don't mind working a couple hours to get rid of the vibration by balancing the crank.

OK, but if the clip is rotating on the needle because of engine vibrations. But the needle has notches for clip placement it must have ground it smooth then skipped to notch next to it while throttling up and down.

Back