Sluggish Then Dead 80 cc Motor

wrightmor

Local time
3:06 PM
I am searching to find problem similar to mine. My bike was running just great and I was riding it every day. I had a little problem with the plug wire coming out of the little black box. The last time i rode, it came out three times. I super glued it. I also had to refuel. I poured 4 oz of oil (same oil I used in the first gallon that worked so great). Gave bike first run after these two things complete and bike was sluggish. had to work throttle back forrth to get engine running again at full speed. Finally bike completely quit. Looks like paint pealing off my muffler (this may not be new- I just noticed it after my last infamous ride. Could my oil not mixed enough with gas and my motor is burned up? Or could super glue be preventing good contact. Of course I didn't actually apply glue to end of cable but to sides where it was going into the hole. Somebody please tell me I haven't burned up my motor. I love this bike. It is the same motor featued on Motorbikekits.com (80cc).

I'd suggest that you cut 1cm off the end of the plug lead, then screw it firmly back into the CDI.
It sounds like you're just pushing it in.
(There's a screw thread in the CDI, so the HT lead must be screwed in, not pushed in.)

Regarding 4oz of oil, was that in a gallon or a tankful?
What sort of oil?
And how many ounces are there in a gallon? (I only know metric.)

I'm glad you started a new thread on this subject. When you posted in the other thread I was going to suggest that.
You'll get more responses this way.

regarding plug wire and ounces in gallon

I'll have to try that trim on the plug wire. If you see the first or second post I made, when I put this bike together I put the carb together wrong and when I started the motor it was at full throttle. Panic struck and all I knew to do at the time was to yank that plug wire. I had to walk back later and find it. I put it back together, but never screwed it and never had prob until now.

that's 4 oz to gallon. (128 oz in one gallon). The breakin for the first gallon was six. I went through that and now have gone through the second gallon of 4 oz mixture and just had a ball riding all over the place. Now this third gallon, the very first ride and it's caput. I sure hope it's nothing major.

I so much appreciate your kind response and suggestion. Will try tomorrow. now it is almost 10 p.m. and raining cats and dogs here in central Florida.

Hopefully that's all it is. If it still won't run, try a new plug.

Those fuel/oil ratios equate to 21:1 during run-in, then 32:1 since then. That should be OK, although personally, I use 20:1. These engines are poorly manufactured and the higher oil ratio helps the piston ring to cylinder wall seal.

(The factory recommendation for my ZBox 66cc engine was 16:1 during break-in, then 20:1 thereafter. I've stuck to that.)

Let us know how you go.

Last edited:
ratio

25:1 was recommended after the breakin. I did the math. That does work out to the directions of the kit (4 oz per gallon of gas). I have undid my super glue job and screwed the wire into the block as you recommended, Steve. But still no go. The spark plug wire, itself, is still suspect in my mind. It is just resting on top of the spark plug. It doesn't snap and lock on. But seems like I still should get some kind of performance out of it, even if erratic. I actually tried to hold it down tighter while I released the clutch (not easy) but got not even a tingle of sting. That didn't make sense to me. Should I replace the plug wire, if it is not locking on or should that make that much of a diffence since gravity is holding it loosely onto the top of plug. Today, being Memorial Day not a good time to go shopping. It was riding just great with capital G last week. I hate this. Would plug be suspect if it was doing so good just last week? not even a sputter.

I never have had an owner's manual to read a recommended break in ratio.
25:1 has always worked well for me in the past, regardless of the manufacturer.

GearNut, anything from 15:1 to 32:1 will work well, as you put it, but the less oil, the shorter will be the engine's life.
Running 20:1, my plug is always light tan with no deposits.
What do you run after break-in?

wrightmor, you need to replace that lead, or at least the cap, so that it attaches properly to the spark plug. Gravity is not enough.
Having said that, if you held it on firmly and still didn't get a spark, there's possibly something else going on.
I'd recommend that you fix the plug lead properly, then remove the plug and fit it to the lead and lay it on the head with the plug body touching the fins, then spin over the engine and look for spark.

after breakin I am running as suggested in the instructions that came with motor, 4 oz per gallon of gas. Prior to breakin it was 6 oz to gallon.
It has been running so good. I went through one gallon of the pre-breakin which the manual suggested would be enough. Then the second gallon I just finished last week of 4 oz to gallon with no problems. Now when I am starting on the third gallon or 4 oz to gallon
I have this. Don't really know if the gas ratio is even coming into play here. I did run pretty low before refueling. Maybe I got some kind of trash in the line (optimistic thinking, I guess).
I will replace the plug wire and maybe even the plug tomorrow (though like I said, I have had no problems with plug last week - none. There is a place local here called Mopeds and More that sells motorized bikes. Could be I can get my parts there. Maybe even have them look at the bike if this doesn't get it. Just checked net. I can replace that exact motor for little over $100. I know, I know... you get what you pay for but I have had so much fun with this motor as cheap as it came (and that is with entire kit price!)
I will try that plug on the fins of motor thing. I suppose I can turn the motor with the bike in neutral (clutch pulled in??) Otherwise I can't test it for spark.

Back