small ROTARY engine (wankel) wanted of 1-2 hp

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by microe45, May 11, 2012.

1. microe45

microe45 New Member

i'm thinking of powering my bicycle with a small rotary engine. does anybody know of a company who manufacture small rotaries ? who has got one for sale? please let me know: microe45 at gmaildotcom many thanks!

2. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

Besides hobby engines, I think Sachs is the only company that made a small rotary but even they're absolutely huge for a bicycle.

3. microe45

microe45 New Member

rotary bike

you are right. even their smallest ones are far to big and powerful. 1 or 2hp would be fine. a rotary of that size should weigh no more than 300-500 grams. imagine something like that inside the front wheel...

4. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Go to smallenginewarehouse and look at the Sachs motors they have......2.5 hp I think.

5. Silvaire

Silvaire Member

Darwin, ya made me look...

The only Sachs engine I can currently find at smallenginewarehouse.com is a normal (but very ancient) 90cc two stroke with a huge round fan shroud on it:

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com...Mix, 2.5HP @ 3000 RPM, 3.7HP @ 5000 RPM, 90cc

If I missed a rotary Sachs engine there, please post a link!

Sachs did indeed made a Wankel engine - and even a rotary engine lawn mower - back in 1972.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  6. microe45

microe45 New Member

wankel power

thanks guys, sachs did a chainsaw back in the 70th using a wankel power. and never again... i heard it wasn't popular because it didn't have a chainbrake.

7. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

I didn't know what that motor was besides a sachs, just thought it might be what you wanted.

8. Dankoozy

Dankoozy Member

9. grinningremlin

grinningremlin Active Member

Your temptation would go away if they posted the price.I looked into them years ago (RC flyer) they are SUPER EXPENSIVE!

10. Dankoozy

Dankoozy Member

I just saw on some other forum that it uses 25% oil mix. So you'd probably leave a black trail on the road behind you and a string of car crashes where ever you go. There are a couple of those engines on ebay, about the cost of 2 new GX25/35's but a wankel engine on a bike would be fierce unusual altogether

11. keatonx

keatonx Member

I'm actually making a motoredbike/motorcycle (depends if i can register as a motorcycle) with a sachs KM48 Wankel engine. 160cc, 8hp stock@5000rpm (and I read that they will go to 11 000rpm ungoverned!!!)

Only problem- I only have the main engine block (housing, rotor, side plates etc). I got it in peices from my schools auto shop, and they didnt know anything about it. I need to cut down some mazda RX7 apex seals to fit in it, grind an oil passage, make some gaskets, make some custom oil seals, modify a 4 stroke weed wacker ignition and flywheel to fit,........(goes on forever)

12. Racie35

Racie35 Member

The os Wankel is a .10 sized model aircraft engine...So 3 times that swept is .30.....hardly enough to do much more then make noise.... They were a novelty in the rc world.

13. rawly old

rawly old Member

Greetings Silvaire,
    Haven't seen one of your posts in a long time. thought
    you'd completely dropped off the radar.