Snow Bike

I was thinking take a basic trike,motor it out and put a sled up front and maybe wrap some track or something around the back tires. Or even take wheelchair wheels and weld on some tracks.Then in the spring,replace the front sled with a wheel and switch out the rear tracks to wheels. Make sure your rear axle is what's doing the driving and mounting the wheels would be no problem.Maybe even go with small tractor wheels that bolt on the same way a car rim bolts on to a car.
Year round fun plus light weight equals epic win.

Ok, I'm looking at pictures of the snorunner...there is NOTHING to that thing.

The US military turned it down because it wouldn't go through powder? Do snowmobiles go through deep powder? Seems like a sweet little machine...also seems like i've seen it in James Bond movies.

Also thinking about quadricycle style right now...wife likes to go on occasion, but I might just make her walk.

I get to go check the junk pile today and see what I've got for parts.

may i suggest, this is your chance to try out the 2 wheel drive system. front wheel mounted engine( now i would think that the tire would grab snow and cause the friction drive to slip, but maybe a custom chain drive would help.) in addition to the front drive, a frame mounted 70cc or 4 stroke larger on a trike would work best, . i think that it would work better to run both those controlling speed while towing 500lbs.

jon

if you are interested in snow cycling get a bike shop address in fairbanks alaska on google- those guys have rims that are double wide w/without studs. they ride all winter and ride and race cross country. just look it up- or look up iditabike, which is a cross country race in alaska.

I believe that you would want to use two rear drive wheels, studded (or at least knobby) and a narrow front wheel that will cut through the snow. Most of a riders weight is on the rear tire(s) so that would give you the best traction. Mount the rear-engine fairly low, and use a live axle...

Maybe you would want to try a short, velcro-strap-on front ski also.

Even so, there's going to be a LOT of torque involved in towing 500 pounds. You're probably be best off if you use 20inch BMX tires mounted on mag type wheels (which are available in the 20 inch size)

All Weather Sports has the double-wide rims and they offer Finnish snow tires, some are titanium studded.

Last edited:
You don't need a Pugsley and you don't need a trike--a MTB with studded tires will run through 6" of snow easily (and even on smooth wet ice) and be as stable as a regular bike is on clean pavement--as long as you don't try any of your "X-games" maneuvers.

All you really need is an engine that can deliver the torque you want.
~

Back