So Global warming.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by stealthc9, Jan 11, 2010.

1. stealthc9

stealthc9 Member

If Global warming is an issue, thats vastly at hand. Why is it so cold in Florida? Why did it SNOW in central Florida 2 Days ago at 7am-8am???

I understand Global Warming is an issue, but it seems we're still far enough away from it. That we can do something about it...

Youtube Central Florida Snow 1-9-2010
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2010

2. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

3. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

can you find one of those fancy global warming trend lines with actual dates on the x-axis??? Preferably one that shows recent trends (including the last 10 years).

I don't think you will... but please show me that I am wrong.
  4. kerf

kerf Guest

Of course you're wrong, Lou said your wrong, Happy said your wrong, you and I both are wrong. It used to bother me until Lou explained that weather and climate have absolutely nothing to do with each other. It's just all so very simple, within a population, the individual values have no relevance to the mean. As I sit here, in the deep south, at my computer, wearing long underwear, I suddenly feel so much warmer.

Vtec, pass me that jug of Kool-Aid.
  5. Zev0

Zev0 Member

LOL, GAWD I love you Kerf Babeee
  6. stealthc9

stealthc9 Member

deep south?? have you been to the keys?? im in central florida/gulf coast
  7. loquin

loquin Active Member

C'mon kerf - I said nothing of the sort. Weather and climate do NOT refer to the same thing. But, Weather is a very small part of climate. Average the weather out for years, AND include the entire earth, including water temperatures, and you have climate.
  8. kerf

kerf Guest

Is not climate the long term measurement of the effect of what the weather has done. How can it be a very small part of the equation when weather drives the climate. You make reference to ocean temperatures rising, is the rise due to contact with warmer weather (air temps) or is the warming because of fluctuations in solar output. If it's air temps, then how can one deny the effects of weather, if it's solar, that means the entire climate change argument is a lie.

Theories about salinity changes disrupting the return deep water flow of the Gulf Stream are highly subjective not to mention self serving to the CC crowd.
  9. loquin

loquin Active Member

kerf, weather is short term, and local, and encompasses the lower atmosphere (55-60 thousand feet.) Generally a few days to a few weeks (but, could even be considered up to a season long,) and confined to a region or at most, a continent.

Climate, on the other hand, is long term, encompassing the entire earth, including ocean depth, temperatures and currents, ice content, and the entire atmosphere, from ground/ocean level up.

The primary means for oceanic heat load increase is due to absorption of solar radiation, but, can also be affected by heat transfer to and from the atmosphere. The temps in the top few hundred feet of the ocean are much more variable than the rest of the depths, as they are affected the most by heat transfer to/from the atmosphere.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  10. kerf

kerf Guest

Weather related, right?
  11. professor

professor Active Member

My wife pointed out, wasn't there a big meeting in Copenhagen on global warming just before this freeze we, Europe and Asia are experiencing?
    Wonder if the 2 are connected.
  12. loquin

loquin Active Member

Only when you add up the weather for years at a time, and for the entire earth, including the oceans and ice caps, and the solar heat over the entire earth.

A week-long cold snap in the eastern U.S. affects the global climate about the same amount that a grain of sand affects the weight of a fully loaded Semi. Or less.
  13. kerf

kerf Guest

That's so interesting as I didn't hear any climate change alarmist saying that during national heat wave several years ago. As I recall it was quite the opposite, or maybe I'm just confused. But I have to admit, it was hotter that summer than it was all year long.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2010
  14. loquin

loquin Active Member

I saw some folks that said that, too. Still the same thing - local weather or even national weather, bounces around. Sometimes it blows hot, sometimes it blows cold, and, occasionally, it's 'Just Right!'
  15. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Of course they are connected, professor.

Hot air rises, correct? As air rises, surface air pours in to equalize the pressure drop. Most of the biggest sources of hot air on the planet were in Copenhagen, and at the peak of the whole conference the thermal chimney of heated air over the city was rising so quickly that it drug in an Arctic air mass that was over the Icelandic gulf, causing the storm.

The hot air sources dispersed, and dragged the cold air in their wakes to most of the northern hemisphere.

Ain't science just amazing?
  16. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

So well put! Bravo, SS!!!
  17. Old Bob

Old Bob Member

Sad though that nobody really understands what the Copenhagen conference and subsequent treaty are.
    This is the same sort of garbage the Kyoto Protocol was all about.
    What it does is punish nations that are productive and give their hard earned dollars to nations that are poor. It does nothing to reduce pollution.It just taxes those who are productive and lowers our standard of living.
  18. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Careful Bob, you're getting close to turning this into politics which will make this thread disappear.
  19. kerf

kerf Guest

Don't you blaspheme - don't you do no blasphene'n here!
  20. stealthc9

stealthc9 Member