So many questions are answered...

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by Large Filipino, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Just by looking at this amazing flash video/I dunno what you call it actually.
    Thought I would share.

Two-stroke engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The questions that this thing answered as far as I'm concerned is how the oil gets to the parts that need to be lubricated,why a crankcase oil system like in a 4 stroke cannot work,why back pressure is so important and how back pressure happens.
    And why expansion pipes are teh win.

I can watch that little illustration all day.

I had always thought that the burned oil that's mixed with the gas is what the bearings rely on. I never thought that FRESH oil mixed with the gas is what the bearings actually get.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2009

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

I didn't click on the link. But I might not have needed to; another time I saw an animation that made things like lube and expansion chamber clear to me. It might be the same as yours.

It was a neat eye-opener, wasn't it? I guess if I had thought about it at all, I had assumed that lube was provided by fresh fuel working it's way past the rings from the combustion chamber. When I saw that the fresh fuel was entering through the crank-case I said, "Ah-haaa! Now I get it."

And I had a similar thought when I saw how the expansion chamber worked.

And it's made me wonder if we couldn't squeeze a good deal more fuel milage out of our happy times if they had a proper expansion chamber.