so this guy I knew commited suicide...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Simonator, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Simonator

Simonator Guest

and stabbed his ex girlfriend 5 times.....

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=105976&provider=top
    http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/Man_stabs_ex_girlfriend_then_kills_self

The messed up thing is I knew that guy. I hung out with him a few times. I used to live in that town it happened in. My buddy lived with him for a while. I am in total shock. He seemed like a nice guy. He didn't have a criminal record (except a DUI many years ago), and no history of him being violent (that i know of). You know what they say.... it's the quiet ones you have to worry about....

R.I.P. Jeffy

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2009

2. stude13

stude13 Active Member

eerie! i worked and partied with a neighbor for around twenty years. all was well. one day he killed his girlfriend and another lady in front of their son. he sent his kid to call 911, then he unloaded his pistol and sat on the porch waiting to be arrested. eerie!

3. Simonator

Simonator Guest

the links were bad. I fixed them.

4. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

Josh
    sorry to hear about your one time buddy
    I had a good friend take his life some years back now
    I am still affected by it much
    he was a heavy drinker -- many times through rehab
    thought he was doing his family a favor -- wrong -- they also miss him much

thank God the Lady is still alive !!

it's hard to understand these things -- this I know

MM

5. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Someone once said:
    A person is really 3 people......what he thinks he is,what others think he is,& what he really is.

You never know what someone else is thinking.

6. itskeith

itskeith Guest

That is very sad, my thoughts and prayers go out to those effected, especially the young children, what a horrendous thing for them to try to process.

7. Simonator

Simonator Guest

8. Revorunner

Revorunner Member

Sad,really sad.:icon_cry::icon_cry:

9. skyl4rk

skyl4rk Guest

I don't know if it is the long winter or the economic problems, but we have had a few cases like this. It reminds me to be kind to others because you never know who is on the edge and ready to flip out. Let the sun shine!

10. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

A couple years back my oldest and dearest friend on Earth (also a Michigander, for that matter) left home one morning just like every other, drove a bit off of his normal path, stopped and put a bullet through his head.

Then about a year and a half later his widow was stabbed to death by her boyfriend, who stole her credit card (might have been his motive, for all I know) and torched the house on his way out.

One mercy is that they had no children. There was a few dogs who were practically surrogate children. I don't know what happened to them.

Sometimes I wonder if the devil himself didn't have it in for this poor family.

The only thing I can add is that time is your ally in matters like this. After a while it quits becoming something that you just can't get out of your mind.

11. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

I lost a good friend 8 days ago, she took her own life - I then find yesterday night that another friend went to a funeral for a male friend of his who was all of 44 years old who also suicided.

No one has the remotest idea why he did it - not even those close to him.

In Sai's case the medical condition she had was the cause. Suffers from this condition have a 30% chance of taking their own life. Most will have at least one suicide attempt before the age of 18.

I have the same condition she did.

I barely even bother to watch the news or read the papers anymore - it makes me so sad to see all the pointless waste of life - either murders/suicides/accidents - or often medical inanity :icon_cry:

Jemma xx

12. Revorunner

Revorunner Member

Could not agree more with you Jemma about the newspapers and T.V. watching.

It's to depressing.

I like to instead amuse myself on forums like these to occupy my free time.Much more interesting.:grin5::grin5:

I'm really sorry too hear about your friend.

13. seanhan

seanhan Member

It's hard to understand

The mindset someone must be in to do this...
    We all have had times in our Lives that were bad, some really bad
    but I never thought about doing myself, I guess there is a plain that is way worse the any I have been on .
    :sweatdrop:

14. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

Depression is involved in over half of all suicides,the longer a person stays clinically depressed the more likely this becomes.That is why prompt treatment with anti-depressants is generally helpful.Alcohol use which reduces inhibitions can be dangerous,if the person involved has a belligerent makeup.At least the woman involved survived thanks to the courageous intervention of a family member.I am fearful that with the current wave of layoffs,many more people will sink into hopelessnes&despair.Depression is one of the major killers in this country.this probably has a lot to do with the frayed economic safety net.

15. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

I have a potentially terminal condition - that half the doctors in the world wont admit exists - even if they do they dont know a thing about it and make dangerous mistakes.

10 suicide attempts in 20 years - not depression, not booze, not drugs - because my father got poisoned and in turn poisoned me.

The only difference between something like terminal cancer and what I have is that death is usually self inflicted or self destructive - and my condition is alot rarer - 1:30,000 living people is the best guess...

I love being unique

16. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

I've had two army buddies kill themselves. It bothered me at first but my opinion now is not to waste my emotions who those whose selfish act of suicide didn't consider the pain they would cause their loved ones and friends.

Let those who took their own lives rest in peace.

17. Simonator

Simonator Guest

i just cant understand why anyone would want to take their own life. I have had some very bad times, but never wanted to die. You only live once. Then it is gone....Suicide is such a waste....it is never too late to change your life.

18. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Suicide can be a perfectly rational choice.

Not often, mind you, but there do occur situations where it is just that. For example, my father was 73 years old, had been fighting lung cancer for 3 years, and losing. It had metastasized into his liver, small intestine, stomach wall, and trachea, and nodes of it were beginning to appear in his brain stem. He was very active, energetic, and loved life. In the last year of his life he went from his life-long 195 pounds down to 121 pounds, was in constant and ever increasing pain, and due to the spread into his brain he was losing control of basic bodily functions.

So, he waited until my mother was gone for the day, then emptied his pockets, put his life insurance policy and his burial plan policy on the table with a letter to the family, and went out to his chair beside his beloved garden, where he took his own life. Hard as that was for the family to deal with, it was his right and his choice to end the unremitting, debilitating pain, and end the ever-increasing agony of watching him deteriorate for the family.

I respect his choice.

19. spunout

spunout Member

try to understand (as best you can) how badly someone is hurting. emotional or physical. or both.
    true, there is the rare occasion of "i'll show them! they'll be sad when i'm gone." that, is indeed selfish. and stupid.
    but in my mother's case, she had been feeling the effects of a bad car accident 25 years ago. severe back and neck pains, terrible migraines, ongoing knee surgeries, etc. she took a few different pain meds daily.
    also, she had been in financial distress for a long time (we had no idea). plus, being in Alaska where glorious sunlight is in short supply during the cold winters, only added to her depression.
    all things considered, she was well aware of the pain this would cause. but nobody can truly know how another person is feeling or what state of mind they are in.
    "waste emotions"? at this point, i'm emotionally bankrupt.

simonator: i apologize for hijacking your thread.
    wow. murder/suicide. thats a crazy deal.
    you said, "it's the quiet ones you have to worry about." thats kind of true. i have an aunt and uncle in alska, that 'adopted' a young man years ago. quiet. well-mannered. very polite and courteous. spent 10 years in prison for murder. he told his mother's boyfriend "if you hit her again, i'm going to kill you." apparently, he's a man of his word, too.

20. Revorunner

Revorunner Member

Like the old saying goes,Never judge a person untill you have walked a mile in their boots.

We all have our problems in life,how we deal with them is what makes us who we are.