So whats the deal with these HD hubs

Do they accept multi speed freewheels or free hubs or it is single speed only?
(hard to tell from the pics on their site)
Andrew

I believe the GruBee site said they would accept multi-speed. (I'm assuming it's the same product) I'm going to order a couple. I don't have a use for them right now, but it can't hurt to have a couple around. And remember that in their response to Augie's e-mail, they offered $10 off your first phone order if you mention MBc.

Sprocket

The ad says:

Model #2. FOR 2 CYCLE ENGINES: Sealed Double ball bearing axel hub: Includes solid non-freewheel flange to mount engine driven wheel sprocket so engine can be pedal started. Can use 44T through 56T Chain wheel sprocket direct attachment. Includes drum brake and choice of sprocket.

So, does that mean a 36T sprocket would not work? If not, I wonder why?

i think they mention stock sprocket offerings only, that would explain it?

36T sprocket

I just called bicycle-engines.com, and they believe a 36T will work, but they just don't offer one, nor have they tested one.

HD Hub

I placed an order for one, which includes a 44T sprocket. I will let everyone know how it turns out. I would think it's better than attaching the rubber mounts to the sprocket.

FWIW - if there is enough interest in the hubs....I may be able to make custom sprockets for them as well ;-)

Andrew

I was hoping to ultimately get a 36T sprocket for it. I am anxious to see how the 44T runs on it first.

Alesterfeind,
Did you order one with or without the freewheel? I ordered a couple with. I haven't seen a review of these, so when we get them, we should post reviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alaskavan,

I ordered mine with freewheel, no brake. Yes, let's keep updated with how well these work. I hope to get mine on this weekend. I guess I will have my first experience threading spokes through an axle. Wish me luck!

Back