So who here has been pulled over on a MB?

I know one fact.. people like you destroyed MB's in Florida and you're still a ****ing idiot

A bicycle with a small engine is still a bicycle. You may call it a moped (can be pedaled) but it is still a bicycle. Tags and registration are necessary for cars and trucks because they are granted a special privilege of driving a vehicle that can bring death even if it is operated properly.

Most motorcycles today are overpowered toys, getting gas mileage inferior to small passenger cars. There's good reason for big motorcycles to be registered. But a bicycle? No way? A one gear bike with a sub 100cc engine and max speed of 30 needs to be registered? No.

It's just pointless regulation and red tape. Brake lights on bicycles? Turn signals? Think about it: if a given motor powered cycle cannot produce enough electric power to light a headlight, then why require that? A bright battery powered headlight will suffice, along with a tail blinkie.

They are really silly laws passed by people who have no experience with the subject. If they get organized groups with a certain degree of knowledge - like, say, a motorcycle group - that bunch will bring their bias along for the ride.

Efficient travel proponents almost always lose.

Timbone

A bicycle with a small engine is still a bicycle. You may call it a moped (can be pedaled) but it is still a bicycle. Tags and registration are necessary for cars and trucks because they are granted a special privilege of driving a vehicle that can bring death even if it is operated properly.

Most motorcycles today are overpowered toys, getting gas mileage inferior to small passenger cars. There's good reason for big motorcycles to be registered. But a bicycle? No way? A one gear bike with a sub 100cc engine and max speed of 30 needs to be registered? No.

It's just pointless regulation and red tape. Brake lights on bicycles? Turn signals? Think about it: if a given motor powered cycle cannot produce enough electric power to light a headlight, then why require that? A bright battery powered headlight will suffice, along with a tail blinkie.

They are really silly laws passed by people who have no experience with the subject. If they get organized groups with a certain degree of knowledge - like, say, a motorcycle group - that bunch will bring their bias along for the ride.

Efficient travel proponents almost always lose.

Timbone
It is the way it is. Suck it up Dude.

It is the way it is. Suck it up Dude.

They're just mad, because they probably don't have a license and were able to "get away with a grey area" in the law..
Now that the "loophole" has been closed up, they're just butt-hurt.
If ya don't have a license, then get yourself an electric Motorized Bicycle as described in FS 316.003(2) and stop whining.

Other than that, I don't see why people would complain at all, now that a gas powered Motorized Bicycle can be registered as a moped.

Now to those of you that DO have them registered and have a motor that's more than 50cc's or capable of greater than 30mph speeds, you guys are are riding dangerous motor vehicles and should be ashamed of yourselves because you're as bad as those who were looking to use the "gray area loophole".

Last edited:
Actually I wonder if you can be ticketed for using a Bike lane with a LEGAL Tagged Motorized Bike. It sure makes sense but you never know. The Spandex Crowd might object.

Here in Florida, there is no "generic" law stopping people on mopeds from using a bicycle lane.

Bicycle lanes are for preferential use of bicycles and not exclusively.
The only caveat (for bicycles AND mopeds) is that you must pass by another vehicle with a clearance of at least 3', whether that is on your left OR right.

Here in Florida, there is no "generic" law stopping people on mopeds from using a bicycle lane.

Bicycle lanes are for preferential use of bicycles and not exclusively.
The only caveat (for bicycles AND mopeds) is that you must pass by another vehicle with a clearance of at least 3', whether that is on your left OR right.
That is great news! I was wondering about that. We have some pretty wide bike lanes here and it certainly is a safer place to be when on a heavily used multi lane roadway. As for a rider going over 30 All I can say that is not me. I get a little nervous at 20 since I know it is still a bike not a motorcycle. So while I do conform to the 49 cc rule I do not abuse the speed rule in anyway. Too Chicken for that. Besides there are some 49 CC china engine bikes that can go faster than 30 mph too. So it is not all about horse power it is about the rider.

They're just mad, because they probably don't have a license and were able to "get away with a grey area" in the law..
Now that the "loophole" has been closed up, they're just arse hurt.
If ya don't have a license, then get yourself an electric Motorized Bicycle as described in FS 316.003(2) and stop whining.

Other than that, I don't see why people would complain at all, now that a gas powered Motorized Bicycle can be registered as a moped.

Now to those of you that DO have them registered and have a motor that's more than 50cc's or capable of greater than 30mph speeds, you guys are are riding dangerous motor vehicles and should be ashamed of yourselves because you're as bad as those who were looking to use the "gray area loophole".
Ok I get it now, it's just DUI riders that are doing all the whining, that explains a lot.
May I ask why you think a MB with a motor that's more than 50cc's or capable of greater than 30mph speeds, is a dangerous motor vehicle?

Ok I get it now, it's just DUI riders that are doing all the whining, that explains a lot.
May I ask why you think a MB with a motor that's more than 50cc's or capable of greater than 30mph speeds, is a dangerous motor vehicle?

I said motor vehicle because technically that's what they are...
Greater than 50cc pretty much makes it able to go faster than 30...
How would you like it if something that weighs 300lbs and is going 40mph hits you while you're cycling or walking.. Not to mention the fact, that the extra kinetic energy is usually not superseded by basic bicycle brakes including disc/drum brakes.
I'm guessing you've never written a bicycle over 25 mph... Most basic bicycles are not meant to go any faster than that... When I'm going downhill on my bike and I'm doing 30 it scares the crap out of me and with dual drum brakes, I can stop, but no we are near as fast as if I was going slower and/or did not have a motor on my bicycle.
So yeah, dangerous.
Just my .02
Ymmv...
Most people take a basic bicycle and throw a motor on it...
I haven't seen too many (actually none) that have a decent bicycle they use to convert. It's usually a Wally World special.

You are exactly correct everyone talks about horsepower but rarely does anyone talk about brakes. Stock brakes are totally inadequate at speeds over 20. So are most tires and rims. Being dangerous can also mean for the rider. I spent quite a few bucks on the best double wall rims I could find and tires and I converted to hydraulic front and real Go kart disk brakes. But it is still a bicycle.

Back