Some people

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Big Red, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Some people simply should NOT be allowed to work on their own bikes. I have a customer and friend that every time he try's it winds up being twice the work to fix, Having to undo what HE did to it.
    Another "friend" of mine thinks EVERYTHING needs painted, Including the chain. Trying to get through 3 or 4 coats of paint to get to the screws is a PITA.
    Anyway, I took a couple pics of a bike a customer FIXED. ALL he wanted to do was replace the clutch pads, So,I sold him the pads, explaining to him that he might have to resize them to fit and that pads from one supplier may not fit the clutch from another suplier. In on ear and out the other. He brought me the bike complaining the clutch wasn't working properly. what he had done was to jam the too large pads into the too small holes leaving the clutch plate out WAY too far. You can see what the result was.The flower nut lock screw cut a perfect hole in the case.

Attached Files:

2. Saddletramp

Saddletramp Member

Well, I have seen worse. (then I woke up)! I like this Forum so that's all I am going to say.
  3. IbedaYank

IbedaYank Member

just when you think you have seen the worst....

is he running STRAIGHT gas????
    don't look like remix to me..
  4. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

I will not work on bikes that are that butchered up like that one.

You can never make them right.
  5. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

My next door neighbour is a perfect example of that kind of work. After riding my bike, he wanted to create his own, so i ordered a Sick Bike Parts Shift Kit and associated parts to make it happen.

A few days after he got the parts, all i could hear was complaints that the shift kit wouldn't fit together. I was horrified to see that he butchered the shift kit beyound belief; in fact it was so butchered that i had to order another shift kit for him.

To ensure that it would be assembled correctly i left my bike in his garage so he could simply copy the assembled parts as installed on my bike.
    Visited him again a few days later and to my astonishment he managed to completely f*&k it up a second time, despite having my bike as a reference.
    In the end i had to strip everything apart and reassemble the kit (on his bike) to operational functionality.

For the life of me, there are some people who should be banned from working on anything mechanical, and most of the time those people are the ones who think they have a good understanding of mechanical operation; worse still, they work on their own car; with equally disastrous consequences; stripped sump plug and stripped spark plug threads being the most common f*&kup.
  6. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Yeah, It's mix, He's not quite THAT stupid, CLOSE, but not quite.
  7. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Yeah, you can, ya just gotta be GOOD at what ya do.LOL
    Big Red.
  8. Saddletramp

Saddletramp Member

I never saw a dude buy condoms, Elmer's Glue and repair a bike tube on a Sunday. Or I did.
  9. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Some of the funniest crap I ever heard. I bet he made it home on it.
  10. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Red from the looks of those pics you really should improve upon your work ethic. Someone might get hurt.
  11. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

BRO, MY work ethic is fine, That is how I got the bike, NOT how it left my shop. NO one has EVER got hurt becouse of one of my bikes, Crazy riding, YEAH, My bikes come out of my shop SAFE and ready to ride. Perhaps you miss read the post when I said This is how "some people" bring them to me after trying to fix it themselves. Perhaps you should improve your reading skills.LOL
  12. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

From time to time someone will ask me about my bike and where to get the engines, etc. It's clear that they're thinking that they might want one, too.

I tell them that this is a surprisingly competent little vehicle that can be had very inexpensively.....BUT....there's a price to be paid. That is that there is a definite learning curve. That you need to be willing to tinker until you learn all the ins-and-outs. That you have to be willing to get your hands dirty, etc. I stress this pretty hard.

A small number of these folks seem to listen. Most of them, it's obvious that their minds are far, far away.

I dread seeing these people build their bikes and come to me with their troubles. Because the photos above are exactly what I picture in my mind.

One difference I can see, though, is that the people around me never follow through. But it looks as though Big Reds neighbors do.

It makes you cringe. I guess I'm kinda glad that almost no one in these parts has the guts to just go ahead and do it.
  13. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

My earlier post was sarcasm Red, seemed funny to me.
  14. LR Jerry

LR Jerry Well-Known Member

I never charge anybody to help them work on their bike. The key part of that is help them not do it for them. This way they'll have a general idea of how to do repairs in the future. 90% of the time its an alignment, tension or cable problem.