SON OF A....... (broken mounts snapped bolts)

Drop outs are the metal brackets on the rear of frame that have slots in them where the rear wheel's axle slides into.

Studs

Been there done that. Local lawn mower shop backed them out for cheap. I got stronger bolts from fastenal.

Since my studs are recessed a little im not sure if hemos will get a grip but its worth a shot. I called the local mower shop. They're picky about what they work on but I heard there's a saw shop up the road that'll work on anything that pays...... we have a fastenal too. :)

I had no idea that my bike would be an involved hobby. That's ok if I can keep the breakdowns down to twice a year.......

Thanks for the tips guys!!

If the studs are broken off below the surface too far to zap a nut onto the end of them, you can always stick weld to the end face of them and shut down the welder in mid weld. If done correctly you end up having a welding rod welded to the end of the sub-surface stud. Plenty to grip with pliers or vice grips and unscrew the whole mess.

there is one thing u can do its a kit u buy and it has the drill bit some kind of a tool to put these things in the hole and new temper bolts diff. sizes what happens is as ur putting the studs in they expand the collar had this done to my outboard prop shaft and was better than brand new just cant remember the name of the kit thought the name was hemmo stat kit trust me once u install these u can take it back off and retighten again and again

Last edited:
You can drill it out and tap it larger, or you can use a helicoil kit.

But regardless - whenever you go to replace things - get grade 5+ bolts.

Thanks to the group for this thread!
...Just convinced me to tear my basketcase down further and replace the MM bolts with grade 8's before I go any further on the project.
I just bought 9 grade 8 M6's for the rag joint, today.
Some of the old ones were ate partly through by the spokes. I've already replaced the broken spokes. Where is the best place to get 12g spokes???

Best
rc

Thanks to the group for this thread!
...Just convinced me to tear my basketcase down further and replace the MM bolts with grade 8's before I go any further on the project.
I just bought 9 grade 8 M6's for the rag joint, today.
Some of the old ones were ate partly through by the spokes. I've already replaced the broken spokes. Where is the best place to get 12g spokes???

Best
rc

Best thing to do bud from what i see is to get the actual adapter and put the sprocket directly on the hub. Honestly I am suprised most people dont do that.

I wouldnt waste money on spokes, I am pretty sure that hub adpater is less than 50 bucks.

Back