Engine Trouble spark plug help

Oh but doesn't combustion chamber temp effect engine temp. If combustion chamber is running cooler then less heat is applied to engine right?

Pretty much, yeah. But other factors have to be taken into account. A very thick coat of cheap engine paint, not enough oil, something blocking the cooling air flow, broken off fins, riding style (like constantly flogging the engine), or air leaks can cause it to overheat quickly regardless of the heat range of the plug.
It's just another little thing we can do in our tuning to get it to run the way we want it to.

Right so if all other aspects are in check and good order then if you change the plug temp it would help it run just that bit cooler right? And kinda act as extra safety in hot running conditions?
It says about 60°f from the ride home. Its up hill basically both ways the first hill I have to pedal with the engine to get up the other one is less steep but I still have to pedal a bit to help it along.
Which would be best a 6 or 7?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool thanks Slogger. I'll post a pic of the new plug after it stops raining and see what you guy think then.

Hi guys, I'm reading this with great interest. I live in phoenix where it is common to be 115-120F daytime and not less than 90 even at night. I'm using a 6 at about a 24:1 ratio to try to compensate. should i also be running an 8? (didn't even know they were sold...)

I would run an 8 and a 32:1 ratio

not a considerable amount. too much oil causes plug fouling. 32:1 is already more oil than most engines need.

Cool thanks Slogger. I'll post a pic of the new plug after it stops raining and see what you guy think then.
Ok so this is my plug after riding to work and back Monday and Tuesday with flash on and off. Also a pic of the plug when I got to work this morning(bottom pic) after having to walk part way up the hill that I easily made Monday and Tuesday by pedaling with the engine.

Attachments

• 20150512_223618.jpg
    20150512_223618.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 20150512_222914.jpg
    20150512_222914.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 20150513_074547.jpg
    20150513_074547.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 122
Doing a plug chop from WOT will give you a better indication of your carb jetting, but that aside, that plug looks maybe a hair rich (?).
The black crud is cooked on oil residue. You might want to back off on the oil content a little.
Don't take my word for it, though, my bike is running a little lean right now and the porcelain part looks a bit more tan than that second pic.. hmmm.
Somebody good at reading plugs will hopefully chime in here and figure this out..

Back