Spark plug threads loose- new head?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by Fletch, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Fletch

Fletch Member

My plug threads allow play in the plug all the way down until it is screwed in all the way, and then it is tight. Should I be concerned about this extra space? I'm sure it was created from the tight area I have to get the socket wrench around the plug, and pulling on it at an angle accidentally or inadvertently. Is there anyway to re-thread them, or do I just have to buy a new head?

2. Dave C

Dave C Member

A machine shop could put in a threaded insert but I think even though it's only 1 insert it will cost you more for the work than a new head. If there's room if you have an angle plug try a centered sparkplug head and the oppisite if you have the straight plug.

3. Fletch

Fletch Member

thanks... good thing parts for these things are cheap. The head is working fine as is for now.

4. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

If its for a happy time engine, I'll sell you one CHEAP. 10 bucks shipped and you'll get 2 spare flat heads (not slant angle head).

5. Fletch

Fletch Member

Thanks for the offer but I'd rather pay $12 for a new angle head.

6. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

I didn't realize the slant heads are so cheap. 12 bucks is cheaper that it would cost for a machine shop to look at it.

7. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

The spark plug supplied with my kit fit loosely in the head. Every plug I have used since (denso, NGK, etc) fit snugly.