spark plug wire broke instantly.

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by craig7, Jan 17, 2015.

1. craig7

craig7 New Member

got a good deal on a used 80cc engine, electrical system was no good, just got new parts, got it all hooked up and it does actually work but i havent even rode it for 15 mins already and the spark plug wire broke. still runs, but the spark has to jump 2 gaps now, which apparently isnt an issue lol. what do i do about it? i've got a second cdi that i ordered but i dont want to have it break too. seems like the wire is just too stiff and brittle.

[​IMG]

what do i do? the original broken cdi it came with had a 20 gauge speaker wire as the spark plug wire.... but who knows, it very well could be a better wire than the Chinese junk

[​IMG]

and not electrical related but what do you guys do about vibration? i've got pieces of rubber and bike tires on all my engine mounts but i cant go past around 40-50km/h without the vibration being just painful

2. butre

butre Well-Known Member

break it the rest of the way, take a pair of pliers and twist the remaining wire off the CDI before threading the good section back on.

rubber makes vibration worse. I use no rubber and I put a length of steel cable inside the handlebars.

3. craig7

craig7 New Member

whats the cable for? i got the old wire off and found a nicer more flexible wire from a leaf blower engine i have laying around. about to go for a test ride.

works good. hmm i guess this thread wasnt quite necessary, but at least i'm here now

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  4. butre

butre Well-Known Member

the cable adds weight to the handlebars. heavier handlebars are less prone to vibration.