Speaking GREEN what does everyone Drive Vehicle wise?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WhizBangAndy, Jun 4, 2010.

1. WhizBangAndy

WhizBangAndy Member

OK seeing all this Green has got me wondering how green the rest of our community is. I know that riding one of these (if you are legally able..lol) would cut down on petrochemical use but what are we driving otherwise?

Make Model and Average REAL Fuel Mileage would be a good start..

Ill start this off with my Rusty 1993 Subaru Wagon that gets 30-31 MPG on average. It has a rated tow capacity of 1500 pounds and I have stuffed it for trips and it still gets 29 fully loaded with the AC on. One note though it is one of the rare Front Wheel Drive ones so none of that extra stuff spinning around.

2. Nuttsy

Nuttsy Member

Dodge Ram P/U w/V8. Average mileage--11.
    However, with the Gulf of Mexico hemmoraging oil the way it is, it's all moot. . .
    . . . for a looonnnngggg time to come.

3. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Wife drives 95 Jeep Cherokee and I drive a 96 Jeep Cherokee..Both get 15 or so MPH. The 96 is very Green---I just had it repainted last year

4. professor

professor Active Member

'96 Prisim (toyota), probably 28 to 30 around town and 35+ in the country. But i drive real conservately.
    When I suggested to my daughter that she slow down over some bumps, she said, "You're an old person and old people are never in a hurry because they have no-place to go".
    I still chuckle about that one.

5. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

'97 Toyota Corolla. I get about 27 mpg around town, 30-31 mpg on the highway. It was my wife's car, and I drove a '91 Dodge Dakota pickup with a 318 V8 - which was doing really well to get 12-13 mpg around town. After her murder, I started driving the Corolla. It is quite likely to be the last car I ever buy.

6. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

I know this is impractical for many but I've worked it out so I no longer own a car, car-less by choice the last 5 years, just bicycles and MABs. That's why they are important to me for daily use.

Rent a car a few times a year when needed, some good rental deals to be had depending on the season, mostly in winter which works out nicely. Mass transit is decent in the area I live and I do use it on occasion, seldom though. I'm lucky there, I realize this is not be the case for everyone around the country.

One thing for sure, it's a pleasant surprise how much money is retained not going into car ownership.

7. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel: 24mpg average city/highway which is pretty darn good for an SUV. Emits less soot than a gas engine. With 20k miles on odometer, I can stick my finger in exhaust and it wipes clean due to diesel particulate filter that is now a requirement on all new diesels. Doesn't have urea injection as newer models have so nitrous oxidie emissions are a little higher than a gasser.

2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel: 24 city/30mpg highway. It has no diesel particulate filter and allows me to "smoke out" Prius's and tailgaters. Not very green but fuel economy can't be beat. Emits 20-30% less CO2 than a gasser but who cares, C02 isn't a pollutant. Runs 5% biodiesel for fuel lubricity and nother any other reason.

2006 VW Jetta TDI: 41mpg city/47mpg highway (at 80mph). Run 5% biodiesel only to increase fuel lubricity not for any environmental reasons.

1991 Mazda RX7 Convertible: 18mpg average. Oil injected Wankel Engine that pollutes more than your average engine but hey, it has 2 catalytic convertors!

I personally this whole Green thing is stupid. Didn't anybody watch the South Park Prius/Smug emission episode?

I'll stick with the SUVS for now. Wife was rear ended by someone driving a "green vehicle" and it totaled his car but the Jeep's only damage was tot he bumper and trailer hitch.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  8. WhizBangAndy

WhizBangAndy Member

Definitely interesting to see the spectrum of vehicles we have (or don't have..lol) I have done a lot of looking and I still havent found a comparably versatile vehicle like my Impreza. I wish I still Had my Dodge Colt Vista because even though it got only 24 MPG it was HUGE inside compared to my Suby.(I sold it because I wasnt able to tow with it)..

I agree about the whole GREEN thing too. The push seems to be for Hybrids instead of smarter more versatile cars and trucks that get better mileage. :grin5:

9. Zev0

Zev0 Member

You want great cars with great gas milage, go to Europe. You would not believe what machines they got over there. Our regs just won't let them be here. It's a shame. Our Gov't has us locked up and made prisoners out of us.

10. WhizBangAndy

WhizBangAndy Member

Yeah Tell me about it Zevo..

We finally got the Ford Transit and the Fiesta and that seems to be it. I was kind of wishing that Fiat would come back when they bought Chrysler and re introduce some of their little gems. I like the Fiat Doblo mini van and of course the new 500 Abarth. Hopefully if they come back the reliability will be better. The Fiat 128 3P I had was fun when it was running and a nightmare when it wasn't..lol

11. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

I drive a Toyota X-Runner. I have no idea what the gas mileage is. I have never cared to figure it out. A 19 gallon tank filled up once a week does suck at $3.15 a gallon. The engine does not agree with low octane gas.

12. 1983JZR3W

1983JZR3W Member

In order of car's age:
    1923 Ford Model T street rod
    2004 Corvette Z06
    2007 JZR three wheeled English cycle car
    2009 Smart Brabus coupe
    My wife drives a 2006 Nissan Quest van.

13. moondog

moondog Member

Old 240D.

My Dad had VW bugs and the first car I drove was a 67 bug.

My friends had some fast cars so I did not miss out and got to drive a few too !

My Dad helped me buy a new bug and if my friends and I could get up a couple of 20's we could travel almost any place on the east coast.

Key West to NY city I went in that bug.

My friends with the hot rods stayed closer to home.

Higher mileage cars meant freedom to travel more to me. :cool:

Now I see Happy Valley as the free one !

Happy Valley, you da man ! ! ! :bowdown:

14. metal

metal New Member

2010 Nissan titan. About as far from green as possible, haha. I average about 12.5 miles per gallon in city driving, and 19 on the highway. Fortunately I also have a 2009 Buell firebolt XB12R, and that gets somewhere in the 40s in city driving, and almost 60 on the highway. Gotta love air cooled v twins! Well, at least when it comes to gas mileage. I'm really looking forward to finishing my motored bike and getting 100+ miles per gallon out of it.

15. metal

metal New Member

I used to own a 1978 Porsche 911SC. It was in near flawless condition, with only 43K original miles on it. Every day I miss that car, wish I didn't sell it. Ah well, I'll get another one one day.

16. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

I have a 2010 Pontiac Vibe & a 2003 Ford Focus. Both average about 33 mpg, overall.

17. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

I wish I had my father-in-laws 1969 'Cuda. It has the 440 cubic inch Super Commando V8, and has just over 26,000 miles on it. He bought it new in '69, and it has been garaged ever since - he gets it out about once a month and drives it a few miles. He still has the original window sticker, and every bit of paper that came with it.

Everybody and his dog has tried to buy it from him, including Jay Leno - he just smiles and says, "It's not for sale."

18. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Oh maaaannn.........I think I just had an orgasm. :tt1:

19. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

^^^ Tmi ^^^

20. liscos439

liscos439 New Member

1995 VAZ 21047.
    Definately not green. Beige :) With mud offsets round the wheelarches.

And a Volvo 360GLT, like a small 240 hatchback and Dutch build quality. Blue with a green algae coating from not being used for years.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010