Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Tom, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Tom

Tom Active Member

Hey guys,

Just a quick note about that ebay search box you now see at the top...

I am trying to recover costs of web hosting, domains, e-mail, stickers, etc. so I placed that searchbox at the top.

If you are going to buy or sell something on ebay, make sure you used search box in the last 30 days. I get a small part of the commission that ebay takes... It won't cost you anything extra, it simply gives me credit for the "Referral".

Also, I am trying to raise money for more stickers, more bandwidth, maybe even t-shirts etc.

If you have any questions or comments, just let me know!!

Also, the search box should NOT be covering the "Motor-Bicycles.com" text... If it is, hit REFRESH.

2. tirebiter

tirebiter Guest

One way we raise money for expenses on a car forum I'm involved with is for members to start online auction threads. They put something up for bid for a week or so and the winner sends the money directly to the forum admin. Then the item is shipped to the winner. It's a form of donations where everyone wins....we get rid of extra junk, someone gets something they want, and the site benefits from the "donation". One man's trash is another man's treasure. 8)

Many of us at a couple forums in particular have been members for 10 or more years and have become very close friends. The forum is our place to hang out and keep those friendships alive in the times we can't visit each other in person. We would have a huge empty spot in our lives without the forum so we share in the responsibility of keeping it alive. Of course many of us directly donate a little too.

Just some thoughts...

Thanks for running the board and giving us a place to talk motor bikes Tom. I'm a big ebayer so I'll use the link quite a bit :D
  3. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

that's a good idea! I know I have some trash/treasures lying around.
    could also work for services too. for instance, wheel lacing? (not me...lol)
    trouble shooting....whatever?

4. Tom

Tom Active Member

Thanks guys, I am glad everyone understands.

I am trying to keep the ads to a minimum, but at the same time I would like to have them visible so that they get used. Its sometimes hard to find a balance between the 2.

Personally, I have seen forums and websites that are so cluttered with ads, I navigate away immediately. Those places just suck. I am glad pop-ups are no more with all the pop-up blockers they have these days. Those were the worst!
  5. davidsis

davidsis Guest

Good idea Tom. Have to pay for the site and stickers and stuff. I would really like a T-shirt. Let me know if I can do anything to help.
  6. Tom

Tom Active Member

Ok guys, I don't like the idea of having ads on our forum, but I went ahead and put a box of "related" ads at the bottom of the forum. Hopefully it won't get in anyones way, and it will help generate a few extra bucks to save up for stickers and t-shirts and other fancy things.
  7. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

truth be told, peeps, it's gonna be like our own personal shopper, 'cuz the links will always be something at least a lil bit relevant to our schtuff, so click away!! 8)

cool smilies, eh? :D
  8. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

TIP: Tom tried to get the links to open a new winder, to no avail...so if ya right-click the link, then left-click "open in new window" you'll be able to stay here while yas shop around 8)
  9. Tom

Tom Active Member

make sure you don't click on the links just cause you want to get us a few cents. Google has some high-tech ways of figuring out if people do that and I can get in trouble if you do!
  10. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

yes, of course, and i apologize if i gave the wrong impression.
  11. istbenz

istbenz Guest

the ads are small and not everywhere :grin: i think its great. good job tom. betchya never thought it would grow like it did. you and aug are doin a great job! :D :D :D

btw- love the little gearhead emoticons
  12. tirebiter

tirebiter Guest

Hey Tom, I used the ebay link last night around 8PM and bought a Hugger tank. Does that give you something? Do you get anything if I use the link to get to ebay and don't buy something? Just curious about when to use it.
  13. Tom

Tom Active Member

If you use the searchbox at least once; for the following 30 days (or until you use use someone else's affilate link) anything you buy or sell will get us about .5-5% of the total sale price. So far, from all the ads on the site, we have received about 12-15 bucks, technically for free. The larger the forum grows, the more rapidly we can save up for cool things. 8)
  14. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

we all totally rock! hey, everyone, thanks for being here...if we keep this up & can find our logo, we're all
    gonna be wearin' MBc t-shirts real soon 8)

btw-i bought a double-pull brake lever off ebay this week, pics on the way, stay tuned :)
  15. davidsis

davidsis Guest

I put links in the parts section that go directly to e-bay. Wonder if we get credit for that hu? Also, they really are cool parts that people are probably interested in. Maybe I should just put the item number on the web page and someone could just cut and past that item number in the surch box.
  16. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

a very good idea: posting only the ebay item number for use in our search box... :)
  17. Tom

Tom Active Member

Ok, I went ahead and put a link unit at the top of the page. I could change the border a bit, or remove the border, or remove the unit all together. The bottom line is that the ad on the bottom made 3 bucks the first day, but then about 20-50 cents per day after that. The e-bay searchbox at the top makes on average the same.

I am only expiermenting with the link unit up top, and wanted to see if it would generate the revenues needed to fund some expanding of the board, or if members would just get annoyed at it.

Let me know what y'all think, this is pretty much your board anyway. 8)
  18. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

I thought about this yesterday- Product Placement-

Those little flags, they appear on our member list, and on our postings.

The size isn't too large, (btw- nobody guessed mine is the Isle of Man)

BUT WHAT IF? Instead of a flag, it was "Golden Arches", "StarbuckCoffee", "BFGoodrich" etc. Now, that is General Idea, but possibly we could get enough "product specific" sponsors.

NO SIDEBAR ADS, NO POPUPS, just these little capitalistic logos next to our names.

Food for thought-prob take a lot of doing, but when our viewership grows, and the other morning there was only me and 6 guests viewing.

BTW- has anybody ever seen a larger number than SIX guests viewing?
  19. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

i ain't selling my flag :evil:

well, i've always wondered about our "most online 68" statistic...i've personally seen 6 members & 14 guests 8)
  20. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

I am going to CONTACT the Isle of Man Chamber of Commerce, (I think they are big on money laundering, internet gambling and some type of soft cheese), and tell them to PONY UP>>.

Seriously, it doesn't have to be big bucks, and it doesn't have to be corporate, better it was Travel Related (See Rock City, Indy500, Dollyw00d, AlligatorWorld).